New 2012 Hilleberg models

5:58 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts
6:02 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Now my choices are even more confusing.

6:22 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Ditto.  I was looking at adding a Nallo 2 but now.....

Looks like there is also a tarp shelter...

7:36 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have a feeling there will be a pletora  of 4-season Hilleberg tents hitting the sales and eBay auctions.

Many of the owners of said tents have likely NOT used the tents a great deal for Winter backpacking and camping, and wouldn't mind the lesser weights of the 3-season tents, along with probably better ventilation possible in the new 3-season tents, for the more mild-weather activities.

Watch.

~r2~

7:42 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

If that is the case my wallet is about to get very light. 

8:15 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

The more I think about it, I am certain I am correct.

Compounding the situation, the big focus on lighter weight EVERYTHING in the past couple years ... those that have had those 4-season Hille's probably grudgingly accepted their choices were a 'necessary evil' with the weight of the tents, and did not want to take a big 'hit' on their investments.

Now, all those gear-junkies with deep pockets will be bailing off of those 4-season Hiile's ... so they can be the "Big Man on Campus" with the latest from Hilleberg, and tell all their cohorts in Starbucks how clever they are.

~r2~

8:18 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

You generally can't get something for nothing.  And in this case, a lighter weight Nallo is one that is not as strong.  Some will still take the 25% heavier and correspondingly stronger shelter.

8:30 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Man, buying/selling a tent is like buying a car. I've had many conversations like "I can't wait for the 2012 models to come out" or "I have the 2002 model" or "the 2009 model made some nice improvements compared to the 2008" so on and so on.

I do love talking tents....and the new year models.

9:28 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Well, I am not in a rush to sell the Hilles. I currently own and detest Starbucks and am not a "gear junkie". AS CWH points out, the original Hilles. are stronger and for some of us, that is an important issue. I will continue to use my Soulo and Saivo and perhaps buy a Saitaris for most tenting I will do and will be happy with them in the future as I am now.

However, these are a worthwhile development and the Rogen dome, especially, would be a fine choice for a backpacking couple in most situations, less weight and I suspect the strength is  more than adequate for any weather encountered in North America, in 95% of backpacking situations.

Typical of Hillebergs, they are the "best", IMO and are well worth the cost of buying one.

9:38 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I really like the Rogen. I am curious to where the price is gonna be set for this model. Hmmmmm.....

I am kinda surprised Hille hasn't explored the possibility of producing a bivy. I bet they could make a really good one based on the quality of their tents.

10:30 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

I really like the Rogen. I am curious to where the price is gonna be set for this model. Hmmmmm.....

I am kinda surprised Hille hasn't explored the possibility of producing a bivy. I bet they could make a really good one based on the quality of their tents.

They have. It's called a Bivanorak.

DISCLOSURE: I AM AN AUTHORIZED HILLEBERG RETAILER.

10:40 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

vigilguy said:

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

They have. It's called a Bivanorak.

DISCLOSURE: I AM AN AUTHORIZED HILLEBERG RETAILER.

I am speaking in terms of a bivy that is only a bivy and is not designed to be a multi-functional item. I personally steer clear of gear that can do more than one thing because I feel that for an item to perform at an optimum level it is better suited to be designed for one primary function and that function only.

I have seen the Bivanorak. If I was in harsh conditions I would have alot more faith in something like an ID Uni as opposed to something like this. Do I want something that gets me by or excels in harsh conditions? Its kinda a no-brainer for me. Just mho.

10:51 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

As far as a bivy type shelter, I have been using the I.D. Wedge Bivy lately. Waaaaay strong and light, and roomy.

10:57 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ahhhh, this is great. I was looking into that bivy very hard. Question for ya, has the zipper design been a problem for you in regards to the way it opens during entry/exit in wet weather? This is my primary concern with this model and why I haven't pulled the trigger on one already. I plan on using it as my primary winter trekking shelter.

I am aware of the vesti offered for it but I really do not want to have to deal with something like this in wet weather or a white-out.

11:12 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

I have not used it yet in wet weather, but when I do, I would have to use the vestibule or a tarp. I like the openness of the door in clear weather, but it would suck bigtime in a rainstorm. You would get soaked without protection. I like the attached vestibule because it is big enough for a pack, boots, etc.

I have used it in chilly nights where I zipped up the door in order to keep it warmer inside and to eliminate drafts. Did the trick and I did not feel claustrophobic at all.

The bivy itself is quite roomy, and VERY stable.

DISCLAIMER: I am an authorized Integral Designs Retailer.

11:25 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

That's what I thought from the design of the door. Hmmm. Still very tempting. I would have to invest in the vesti being I really don't want to use a tarp in the winter. I am gonna look into this a bit more. I really like the room that you get with this model. I wish they would have put a D opening on it, or designed it with some type of overhang above the entry.

From your experiences how was condensation?

11:47 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Rick - Mountain Hardwear has a new winter cross dome tent coming out for 2012 (acutally a whole new line).  Similar to the ID MK series, it was designed with help from Ueli Steck, the premier fast and light alpine climber.  It will be 2lbs, 8oz and although it will lack a built in vestibule, you will be able to sit up in it.  It will be made of a waterproof, breathable fabric that has apparently, been independently tested more breathable than eVent (this fabric will also be available on clothing).

Not being able to sit up during a winter storm....sucks.

11:53 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I wonder if this has something to do with their Dry Q Laminate technology.  CWF, I am sure you remember this article/thread.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/comments/topics/81578.html

Interesting,  one of the reasons I was leaning towards the Wedge was its low profile that I believe would be excellent in high wind.  Hmmmmm.....

I was kinda staying away from single walls due to their known condensation issues but who knows.  Maybe MH has a winner here.

Great now I am even more confused with options.  Thanks. :p

12:03 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

That's what I thought from the design of the door. Hmmm. Still very tempting. I would have to invest in the vesti being I really don't want to use a tarp in the winter. I am gonna look into this a bit more. I really like the room that you get with this model. I wish they would have put a D opening on it, or designed it with some type of overhang above the entry.

From your experiences how was condensation?

I found that even with the door closed up entirely, there was NO condensation whatsoever.  Most likely due to the EVENT fabric.  It scored an "A+" in that department.

12:06 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks alot for the heads up. The Event fabric as well as the low profile were 2 big reasons why I was considering this model. I appreciate the info alot. Thanks again.

12:26 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

CWF, I just saw a snippet of that tent on Ueli Steck Project Himilaya.

http://vimeo.com/mountainhardwear/uelisteckproject

Do you by any chance have any links where I could go to get a lil more info on it?

1:00 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

There are pros and cons to EVERY piece of gear and to every fabric, etc., as well. The focus on the latest and supposedly "best" is oftimes a self-defeating effort and the simple fact is that there are some items of gear that work in some environments better than others do, even though they are older and less "cool".

The Wedge strikes me as a very good winter shelter and one which has the typically excellent ID quality of manufacture. I almost bought the one that VG has and my only issue with it is that it WILL get wet inside if you use it in high rainfall regions in all seasons.

If, a person is actually going to solo trek and camp in places such as northern BC, the Territories and Alaska, the Wedge would not be my first choice and I would consider other options. My preference may well differ from that of others and I always choose gear based on the worst case scenario and sometimes must compromise slightly on other aspects of a given item.

For most situations, the new Rogan seems about ideal and I would love to test one next month in the BC Purcells and Selkirks, when we go to scout for Rocky Mtn. Goats and perhaps do some flyfishing. I would prefer one in a light tan colour, rather than the vivid red and dull green of the Hille. tents I have had to date as I think this is better for summer.

1:14 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I wonder if Hille is gonna come out with a 3 season solo or will they just stick with the Akto with the optional mesh inner to fill this spot in their line-up.

7:50 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

The more I think about it, I am certain I am correct.

Compounding the situation, the big focus on lighter weight EVERYTHING in the past couple years ... those that have had those 4-season Hille's probably grudgingly accepted their choices were a 'necessary evil' with the weight of the tents, and did not want to take a big 'hit' on their investments.

Now, all those gear-junkies with deep pockets will be bailing off of those 4-season Hiile's ... so they can be the "Big Man on Campus" with the latest from Hilleberg, and tell all their cohorts in Starbucks how clever they are.

~r2~

When I look for a tent, I look for strength and toughness, and I will not walk away from my Hilleberg four season tents with the Kerlon 1800 and their beefy high-denier floors and 10mm poles.  Even Hilleberg's 1200 Kerlon is to me a compromise so I can't see going even lighter with the Anjan or Rogen.  While Hiilebergs are certainly pricey, the backpackers I see who use them are not show-offs or wanting to be Top Dog Gearheads, they just appreciate a tent that doesn't have to be replaced every five years and for the most part get out more than most with a shelter that offers the freedom to tackle conditions and terrain most backpackers would avoid---like high bald blizzards and summer thunderstorm winds.

I take it you do not own a Hilleberg?  In my opinion, once a person uses one he'll gradually be smitten and won-over by their many advantages when compared to the usual field of tent-options.  I put up my old red Staika in the dark last night with a headlamp and wanted to use my old favorite tent for a night out in the front yard.  See below.  The more I use other tents like the MSR Fury, the more I want to return to Hilleberg.

The fact is, no tent is perfect and Hilleberg tents have their flaws, they just have to be used enough to find them.

STAIKA-YARD-CAMP-JULY-11-004.jpg

10:04 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Tipi Walter said:

While Hiilebergs are certainly pricey, the backpackers I see who use them are not show-offs or wanting to be Top Dog Gearheads, they just appreciate a tent that ...offers the freedom to tackle conditions and terrain most backpackers would avoid---like high bald blizzards and summer thunderstorm winds.

I am sure there are some Patagucci types who buy A Hilleberg because of the percieved status of an obscure and "elite" item. Unfortunately, as thier name becomes more well known, so will the instances of those buying Hillebergs for that reason.  I don't have a fraction of the experience of Tipi or Dewey, etc.,  but my observations are also that the vast majority of Hille owners actually use and appreciate them for legitimate reasons.  

10:23 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

CWF, I just saw a snippet of that tent on Ueli Steck Project Himilaya.

http://vimeo.com/mountainhardwear/uelisteckproject

Do you by any chance have any links where I could go to get a lil more info on it?

Rick - sorry, I don't have any other information.  I had called MH and talked to one of their designers but he did indicate that the shelters would be available in the fall....

Regarding the Wedge - I am not convinced that it would be ideal in heavy snowfall.  The flat top would accumulate a lot of weight!

Tipi - if I had a front yard like that, I would be camping there more often!  Cheers.

10:57 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

No, Tipi Walker, I do not have a Hilleberg tent.

I have been a dedicated "minimalist" most of my many years of hiking and backpacking.   Almost always, solo.

No longer own a tent (sold it several years ago).   I get-by very well with a bivy (O.R.) and a tarp.

I have a LOT of "high-endy" / high-tech gear and clothing.   I lack for nothing in my hiking forays and outings.  I know what "works" for me ... and do not care if it might be 25 year old ... or, made last week.   I do "tweak" my kit, fairly regularly, and sell-off what I no longer find acceptable, or can replace an item-or-two with something that does a much better job.

I seem to surprise other hikers and campers that notice me, with my basic and essential kit.    I used to cover a lot of territory in a given time.   I am never really in a hurry, but apparently my endurance has allowed me to do so ... at a steady and deliberate pace.

NOW, however;  "Mother Nature" and "Father Time" have conspired, and have tapped me on the shoulder.

I have had four surgeries (cancer, heria-repairs) in the past 10 months.   I have really slowed down.  A lot.   Had to.

I am still in the 'rehab' phase ... but, coming back ... "one-day-at-a-time".

This has changed my thinking.  I am ready to consider a tent, now.   I do not NEED one ... but, I can see the advantages.

A Hilleberg is likely in my future.

I am at the age where I do not parse over dollars with quality goods.   I've worked hard over my years ... and I "treat myself" when I feel justified.   I still am frugal in my everyday living, ... my utility bills average about 100 kWh or-less per month.  I do not have a television, nor a cell-phone ...  but know how to live well.   For example, I have a bottle of Remy Martin Cognac ($150) that puts "LIFE" in perspective.    I am a professional musician, and have the finest horns and guitars on the planet.   Serious dinero.   Worthwhile investments, and reliable "tools", at the same time.   I enjoy cooking ... have a fairly complete complement of "Mauviel" (made in France) copper cookware, if you might be familiar with that "gear".   Again -- worthwhile investment, and superb "tools".

And this is the attitude I carry-over to hiking and camping.

~r2~

8:42 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Where can I buy a hilleberg?

9:09 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

skibum12 said:

Right here at the "Classified" section of Trailspace.   One is listed.

As I suspected in my earlier post in this forum-topic, the pre-owned tents are being offered for sale.

BTW ---   I have been in-contact with the Hilleberg home-office in Redmond, Washington.   They are very prompt, courteous and professional in responding to my queries.   Their catalog arrived very quickly.

BTW #2 --  I just rec'd my water bill for the past 3-months (I am a municipal-dweller; no longer out in the country using well water).   About 50-cents per day for water-usage., which includes sewage treatment charges.  I should be charged much less, but the utility company charges a minimum fee ... and that is what applies to me.    I am frugal.

~r2~

12:48 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

skibum12 said:

www.moosejaw.com, www.moontrail.com, www.hilleberg.com, www.bearriveroutfitters.com  just to name a few....

9:01 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Vigilguy is a class act, and won't promote himself as an outfitter in the forums, but he is a Hilleberge Authorized rep and seller- I'll bet he would be happy to talk tents if you drop him a PM or email.

10:12 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

gonzan said:

Vigilguy is a class act, and won't promote himself as an outfitter in the forums, but he is a Hilleberge Authorized rep and seller- I'll bet he would be happy to talk tents if you drop him a PM or email.

Yes - the link I provide above to Bear River Outfitters is his.

10:23 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

ah, cool- I didn't realize that was his outfit :)

11:32 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Nice to have an outfitter that actually uses the products he sells, isn't it.

1:13 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have purchased three Hillebergs, an Integral Designs tent, a Valandre Shocking Blue bag, Hille. XP-20 tarp and divers other gear items from Vigilguy. I deal with him all the way from Vancouver, BC, BECAUSE he is a gentleman of the utmost probity and has come to be a good and valued friend.

If, you want the BEST all-around tent made and can get the $$$$ together, buy a Hille. from him and look after it; this will last you a lifetime.

1:30 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Wow, thanks for the kind words from all!

FYI, our site is right in the middle of a MAJOR exciting overhaul and upgrade! So that is why some of the new links do not work just yet.

I do not mean at all to solicit business here, but if ya have any questions about gear that I deal with, shoot me a PM or an email.

Cheers-  Charlie

2:24 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:  "I have a feeling there will be a pletora  of 4-season Hilleberg tents hitting the sales and eBay auctions.

Many of the owners of said tents have likely NOT used the tents a great deal for Winter backpacking and camping, and wouldn't mind the lesser weights of the 3-season tents, along with probably better ventilation possible in the new 3-season tents, for the more mild-weather activities.

Watch."

I would have to totaly agree with Robert.  I would guess that 80% or more of the high quality 4 season tents bought by people are never used in the conditions they were designed for,  if in fact they were used at all. I just bought a Garuda Kaja in mint condition that had only been used 4-5 times since it was purchased in 1993.  It's a great little 4 season tent.  Many of the wonderful tents I have gotten of off Craigslist have never even been used or seam sealed.  Unless Hillebergs obtain a cult following (such as the Moss tents or Dana Design back packs),  they will be avaliable in ever increasing #'s at 30-70 cents on the dollar as time goes on, depending on the season you buy your used tent in.

11:01 a.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

I had the chance of taking a really close look at the new 3 season Hilleberg tents last week at the OR Show.

Anybody have any questions they want to ask?

11:34 a.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Hello VG,

thanks for doing this.  Are the dimensions of the Rogen 2 the same as the Nallo 2 and if so, is there a means to tension out the sloping rear wall?

Why so expensive compared to their expedition counterparts? ; )

10:28 a.m. on August 11, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

The Rogen has an inner area of 31.2 sq. ft. (similar to Allak shape)

The Anjan 2, similar to the Nallo 2, has an inner area of 30.1 sq. ft.

The Anjan has a webbing loop at the base of the rear outer fabric to allow for pulling it outward to allow for more ventilation, or it can be rolled up to the hoop for max ventilation in dry weather.

The outer tent can be shifted on either side if necessary, let's say driving rain is coming from the side, one can slide the outer tent all the way to the ground if need be. (On the windward side).

2012 pricing for the Nallo 2 will be $625.00, it will be $570 for the Anjan 2.

2012 pricing for the Allak will be $835.00, it will be $790 for the Rogen.

So the pricing is less than their 4 season counterparts.

As I mentioned in another thread, the weak U.S. Dollar is not helped here.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply