Waterproof packs

3:08 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Does anybody know of or own a day pack or overnight pack thats waterproof? I'll be using it in some very wet conditions and alot of creek and river crossings. Everything in my pack will be in organized in waterproof stuff sacks as well. Thanks for your time.

3:12 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alot of packs are water resistant but you are definitely going the the smart route to pack you stuff in dry sacks. Another way to do this is to utilize a pack cover. Alot of packs include this with the initial purchase. Yu may want to take a look at the Osprey Stratos series. The 26 is a nive pack for a day/overnighter. If it fits you of course.

3:37 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Thanks Rick-Pittsburgh I'll check it out now,yea I always do the stuff sack thing,better safe than sorry.

3:45 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I typically do it with things like my sleeping bag. Its not necessary to put everything in a dry-sack as I am sure you know. As far as a pack being completely waterproof, even if there is a model that carried that claim I personally would never trust it. Not fun to find out the hard way that something doesn't live up to its claims ya know...

I look at it like this, if water wants in bad enough it will get in regardless of the barriers that are implemented into design/construction.

4:12 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

You might want to consider a rafting pack with a roll top.  They're made for this kind of thing and portaging.  You might be able to keep some stuff dry within a pack with similarly designed stuff sacks, but when a regular backpack itself gets soaked, it can be really uncomfortable to carry as well as adding a lot of weight as it holds water in its padding and within the tighter seams.

7:34 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

we had it here some time ago

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/84931.html

if you can live with a simple pack - not the best to carry but will do the job - then a rafting pack will work.

if you have the $ and want it to be made for hiking:

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Arrakis-40

Crux:

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/rucksacks.php

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf

http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=3

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/stormfront-waterproof-pack-fly-fishing?p=49152-0-950

Hope that's help, I don't know if I would bother to buy one (ops - I do have a naos 85) - keep everything in dry-bags, and who care, get it wet - people in N.Z, the north-west and in the rain forest - they all get their gear dry or wet - and most of the time, it's not the end of the world...now I know someone will say "yes it can be the end of the world, and you can die with wet gear" etc - but you get my point :)

8:49 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

You could always make one yourself...
1299865321_39040.jpg

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44216

Doesn't give actual instructions to make it, but more pictures!

8:52 a.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I picked up two dry bags from Costco last year, they are like the ones in nirotem post, but be warned, they are VERY heavy.  The "Back Back" style that I got, it more like a Duffel Bag the straps, is over 10 lbs empty.  But it is designed for boat camping more them back packing. 

Are you concerned about the river crossings, rain, or just what in getting your pack wet?

I have used heavy duty trash bags (3 mil+) for river crossings on the cost before.  Just took off the pack, put it in the bag and tied it up tight, and pushed it along as I crossed the river.  It was a high tide and the river was not very fast, real slow actually.  I don't think that would be a good idea on a fast moving river.  Unless you were swimming across and using the bag as flotation. 

The nice thing about the heavy trash bags is it's east to make a pack cover out of them also, just two cuts for the straps and two more for the hip belt.  Although in heavy rain this can get you wet also, unless you wet gear if completely water prof.

Wolfman

3:30 p.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Golite Peak or Lite-Speed. Very Water resistant (same DWR treated materials as my larger Golite Pursuit - tested water resistant), welded zippers, and light weight. 35 liter capacity.

Many other choices and makers. Storm-flap covered, welded zippers will help keep water out, but not entirely after prolonged exposure to water. Combining with dry-stuff sacks will take care of your items.

5:28 p.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Thanks everybody for the ideas,arc'teryx and Patagonia have the packs the suit my needs. Sealine makes a line of portage packs that I'll be looking at. Thanks mikeybob for the pic, that pack looks awesome! Just what I'm looking for....to bad I would have to make it. Thanks again everybody for the ideas!

5:51 p.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

That's a great point Zeno Marx,didn't think of that. Also thanks for the links Nirotem,I'll check them out!

7:20 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

sure thing, you are welcome!

11:14 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

When I expect the weather to be wet or having to cross lots of deep streams, I use a heavy duty large Hefty trash bag as a pack liner. It will protect everything inside from water and rain.  With some modifacations they can be made into a cheap lightweight rain cover too.

10:18 p.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey Vagabond I have a bunch of these Ozark bags, reallll cheap like under 5 bucks and completely waterproof.  Always work out well for me and can carry a bunch like clothes and sleeping bags etc. 

12:24 a.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Maybe this will suit your needs.

Outdoor Research Drycomp Ridge Sack:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/drycomp_ridge_sack.html

outdoor-research-drycomp-ridge-sack.jpg

9:19 a.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

That's perfect Rick,I'll check it out.

12:44 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Plus the color may be beneficial for ya if ya hike during hunting season so noone mistakes you for a squirrel or other large game. :)

I was searching around last night looking at gear and I came across this. Figured this may just be what you are looking for. Glad it helps, happy hiking...

2:19 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

That OR drycomp ridgesack is sweet!! I like the fact that there's no frame in it; perhaps it'll accommodate my folded torso-length Nightlight pad as a "frame." 

3:51 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Plus it only weighs in a 1lb 4oz.

4:33 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

vagabondryan said:

....to bad I would have to make it.

If you're not worried about cash, I'd say go with Rick Pittsburgh's pack for sure! That thing is sweet!

But if money is a problem, bring out your inner seamstress!

But an even cheaper solution is trash bags, like many people mention! if everything is already in dry bags, throw the bags in, and fold over a few times, and put a frying pan on top of that as an extra shield form any water entering!

I wouldn't be too concerned with it getting wet! After a day of hiking in almost non stop pouring weather and sitting on my pack in mud during rests, I was surprise myself how dry everything was!

and as Gary said, rain gear! with a quick slit in a top, you got yourself a nice kilt for the rain!

9:05 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Yea for sure that pack is awesome! I would do the trash bag idea but....I much rather have a good pack instead.it comes down to the outdoorresearch pack or the sealline pack,I'm leaning towards the outdoorresearch pack though. Thanks for all the suggestions.

12:56 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

With the OR ya get their "Infinite Guarantee." (Basically its guaranteed forever.) That is always a plus. :)

8:41 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have a bunch of stuff from OR(gaiters, hats, etc.) They make great products.

10:31 p.m. on August 5, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
3:51 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I always take a few waterproof sacks with me - I get them from USPS.

[commercial content removed]

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply