Looking for an old fishing rod & reel i used when i was young

11:26 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

CAn someone please help me? I bought a rod & reel combo when i was young (about 15-20 yrs ago) and it was very very short. I believe it was designed to fish for crappie. this was not a kids pole, it was an adult pole and i think it was a Quantum Micro made by Zebco. I have looked all over the internet and cannot find anything. This pole was very short, like maybe 4ft at the most. it was all black and had an orange tip. it had a spinning reel on it. I found it and many more at a local bait shop but im pretty sure it is not a local brand. Needless to say, i lost it during the past 4 times i moved from place to place but i would really love to find another one. if anyone knows where to find them please advise.  Thanks

TCII

12:37 a.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hi, Larryboy27 and welcome to trailspace,  Interesting.  Fishing is one of my great loves in life.  Was this a combo rod/reel or seperate componets.  Was this marketed as a crappie rod or is that what you used it for.  Most "crappie rods" are in excess of 6 feet and usually in the range of 8-14 ft.  Was yours an ultrlite setup.  For crappie and almost all other fish for that matter I use a 5 ft StCroix with an older Spirex 500FA reel strug with sythetic 2 lb test.  Both these items can be bought on Ebay with the cheapest prices comming in the winter season.  I have used a rod like this to catch a 4 1/2   foot Barracuda in the FL Keys to catching smaller sunfish and everthing in between.  I caught the cudda with a 2 piece 5 ft StCroix rod and the Spirex 500FA reel with 6lb test strung with Fireline. (that was one of the rockenest times in my life, it is for shure in the top 10).   I can send you a picture of me with the fish and the rod and reel if you want.   I can remember it like it was yesterday.  I finally broke that pole on a chum salmon 10 years later and it was repaced  with a 5 ft one piece rod as the pole broke at the ferrule.  There are a number of poles that have life time warraties and I have used StCroix warranies extensively.  I think I'm at 7 poles currently  with them as  I like to haul large animals out of the ocean with UL trout rods and tiny reels.  If you cannot find what you are looking for I'd be more than happy to help if you need any advice regarding fishing poles and reels.  I checked ebay for what your looking but could not find a thing (rare).  I would guess that it was a fairly inexpensive setup that has fallen by the wayside.  With that being said, I have never (that I can remember anyway) not found what I've been looking for by checking ebay and craigslist on a regular basis.  It may take months or years but it's out there somewhere, way to many garage sales to canvas.  You might also check with the guys on some of the fishing fourms as the art of fishing does not come up on this site very often .  Let me know if I can help.

After further thought I was assuming that  this was a spinning rod and reel, as I'm a spinner/spoon guy for the most part.  Was it a Casting set up?   The great and wonderful OZ has directed me to this 35 in crappie rod "Johnny Walker #CRR Crappie Rod: 35" long".  http://cgi.ebay.com/Johnny-Walker-CRR-Crappie-Rod-35-long-/150647888436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2313505a34

It is a vintage fiberglass casting rod which is what your's most likly was due to its age and it is silly cheap, $4.99 currently with no bids.  The great and wonderful OZ has also led me to find many small quality reels on ebay.  Good luck with yor search.

12:31 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Try another fishing tackle shop.  Call them.

4:33 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts
4:40 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I had a Snoopy set(with plastic fish.) I highly doubt that is what you are talking about. I upgraded to an Ugly Stix(UL) with a Shimano reel(ceramic.)

Uh oh... I just said UL.....

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply