jacket fitting

9:52 a.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I usually try jackets on in the store before purchasing but I want to buy online this time and not have to pay return shipping. 

When I look at the sizing chart it says to measure at the widest part of my chest but all pictures have the measuring tape over the nipple line  (and if I am remebering correctly, the guy altering my suit does the same).  If I measure directly under my armpit, there is a 3 in difference than from the nipple line because of the size of my lats ("v" shape body).

So, which spot do I take as my measurement? 

10:32 a.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace.

Also, congrats on being in-shape.  

I, too, have that "V" shape.  43" chest ... 31" waist.   Takes a lot of work, just 'maintaining'.    Proud of it, too.   Thinking of the 'alternative' makes me shudder.

I take a men's LARGE through the shoulders and upper-torso ... a MEDIUM though the lower rib-cage ... and a SMALL at the waistline.

I CANNOT buy ANYTHING off-the-rack that fits properly.  

I was just talking with a local seamstress about alterations.   I mentioned that everything I need altered is either "technical fabric "  (which will require different needles in sewing-machine), or fine, Merino wool.   She is willing to give it a try.

Anyhow!  -- To answer your post-topic question, you will probably be going to the larger size, in order to keep the armpit area from binding, which is semi-critical.    I have learned this from my surfing wetsuits.   Have to have them custom-made.   A hassle.  Nessa.

Accept the fact that folks like you and me are not the "norm"; and, you'd best look for a good tailor / seamstress.

~r2~ 

10:52 a.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thank you.

Im sure your in the same situation as I am .  Its difficult to find a jacket that fits right.  Its seems their all designed for really skinny guys or fat guys.

1:50 p.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

If on the cusp of sizes go to the larger size.

2:59 p.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

If you give the brand of jacket you are looking at buying people can give you their opinions on the fit of that company. It sometimes helps to hear about comparable body sizes to yours and what sizes they bought.

3:34 p.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

And then there is the issue of accommodating under layers.  For example, you do not want a shell garment that fits with only a shirt underneath, but will end up worn with several layers of clothing.  Compressing inner clothing layers with outer layers insufficiently sized reduces the warming capacity of your system.  Therefore determine the size of a garment by measuring your girth including all under layer clothing you anticipate wearing with that garment.

Ed 

6:52 p.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thank everyone I will size up

Jake W,

The jacket I was considering is the First Ascent BC 200.

I had an old marmot that I bought for like $80 on sale but it was like wearing a garbage bag. 

I read the reviews on the BC 200 and it seems like it should be fairly breathable.  Does anyone know of any other inexpensive shells that could perform decently.  I am only using it for day hikes.

Also, if anyone has a coupon code, that would be greatly appreciated

10:19 p.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

the 200's were recently on sale for a great deal...something like 40 or 50% off. If you can find the BC-100 anywhere like ebay or a local EB that still has a stock of them, I got one for $60 and it is an incredible shell.

Also remember this when fitting for a jacket. Most jackets aren't meant to fit like a suit. So when you think about tailoring them, or think about being measured for a suit or tux, also think about what it would be like to hike in that form fitting suit jacket.

The fit of the jackets are meant to allow movement, layering underneath, and room to breathe.

Also, most jackets have a waist band that can tighten or loosen - I know my First Ascent gear does. Order the BC-200 in a tall large, and then tighten the waist and you should be all set.

8:32 a.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

I have the 200 and love it. I think iclimb and I have had some conversations about the first ascent line. They definetly seem to be on the right track. For comparison I am 6 foot, 155 lbs and have the large tall. Often reach for it over my arcteryx shell. Hope that helps.

2:19 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

Jake - ya i'm really impressed so far with 1st ascent. Reasonable prices, frequent sales, and designed and endorsed by real climbers.

It's funny while lots of "outdoor" brands are moving more towards trendy styling, EB is moving back to it's roots and providing real results.

11:41 a.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,290 forum posts

sounds like a good jacket.  if you are looking for alternatives, Patagonia's rain shadow probably falls into the same category.  i used one for several years and was happy with it (i wear a 46 dress jacket and wore a size XL).   it was fully waterproof and windproof, has an elastic drawcord at the hem.  pretty roomy fit, pretty light, weighs about 13 oz.  pretty durable, too - a lot of backpacking with it, and neither the fabric nor the seams were compromised.  main limitation, for me, was that the lightweight fabric didn't suit my needs for winter hiking/climbing, i felt like it might be vulnerable to tears or abrasion. 

regarding fit, i completely agree with ed.  you have to measure while wearing the thickest layering combination you might wear under the shell, and i would keep the measuring tape on the loose side.  otherwise, you risk feeling like the michelin man in a too-tight jacket.  and that is not fun.   

4:51 p.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

iClimb said:

Jake - ya i'm really impressed so far with 1st ascent. Reasonable prices, frequent sales, and designed and endorsed by real climbers.

iclimb, I am really liking this First Ascent model alot(BC MicroTherm.) I am actually prolly going to order it today. It combines the BC 200 shell with down.

I am going for the Limeade color. The white inner on the blue may show too much when it comes to dirt/sweat marks.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=40146

9:15 a.m. on September 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Funny you say that Rick I was in an Eddie Bauer store yesrterday looking at that model (one of there new releases). The blue model is actually a little lighter in person as well. If you jump on it this weekend they have a %25 off sale, saves you a good chunk of change.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply