Ferrino Mountain Tents

8:42 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Anyone familiar with these? From what I have heard they are serious tents. Kinda hard to get but I haven't really heard anything negative about them.

http://www.ferrino.it/en/homepage/products/TENTS/high_lab_114

9:36 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I have  never seen these.  It's like finding a new band that you love only to find they have dozens of records yet to be heard.  From the small amount of looking I did for just a few minutes I find that I'm very much  enthralled with what very well be another one of the very finest tent makers on the planet.  Which one(s) are you considering?  They have single walls and double walls.  I now need to investigate there use of aluminum imprenated fabrics for there single wall tent.  Mountain hardewar used (uses?) titanium oxide impregnated flys on a few of their highest quilty base camps.  I pray that their single wall material is up to the task and can handle the condensation problems or that they are vented.  Both I would hope.  After reading about the company history it appears to me that their to make tents and are not there for the jsut for the money.  Did you see any pricing anywhere?  I'm very, very interested in their 4 man base camps myself.  Being that they are European (Italian)  I would expect theat they make a quality product and I for one think that that warrants more investigation.  If I had the chance to buy one at a really, really silly good price I, myself (this warrents a different kind of risky behavior), would be willing to take a chance just based on what I know.  I did not find any on ebay.  There just might be some on the Euro Ebay sites.  Please stay in touch and let me know what you discover.  Below is a link to their compamy history.  They have been around since 1870.

http://www.ferrino.it/en/homepage/company/history

9:49 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

There are a few reviews here on the site of previous models.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ferrino/tents/

From what I have seen of their prices it doesn't seem bad. I am definitely interested in finding out more. I don't have my eye on anything in particular but I am very interested in these tents. If the value is there I will buy one. Which one? Now that is a whole different story. I would most certainly be interested in a dbl wall. 

I figured this may be a tent company that you may very well be interested in as well. Kinda the main reason why I messaged ya.

Maybe these could give the Hilles a run.

9:58 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am looking at the Emporer 1 WTS...

http://www.ferrino.it/en/homepage/products/TENTS/high_lab_114/emperor_1_w_t_s_ss11_

In some weird way it kinda reminds me of a 4 season version of my Copper Spur 1...

10:01 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I seem to have a Ferrino  something ... somewhere (?).  I recognize the name, now.

Near as I can remember, it is part of the Winter kit.   Bibs?   Jacket?

Dunno (?) ....

Will comment if I locate it.  Not going to go 'rooting-around' in my "man cave", though.

~r2~

10:03 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Got'cha, Dude (Rick) !

Thanks for the PM.

Can't see myself opting for the "Portaledge".   Can you imagine sleeping (or trying to) hanging on a big-wall ???                                  

~r2~

10:12 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Just jumped in eBay ( I have something listed, so needed to check, anyhow).

Do a search.   "All Categories" ... and, type-in "Ferrino".

Comes-up showing a new mummy bag ... a vacuum bottle (cost almost as much as the mummy bag) ... a couple of 4p tents ( Int'l sellers).

~r2~

10:12 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Got'cha, Dude (Rick) !

Thanks for the PM.

Can't see myself opting for the "Portaledge".   Can you imagine sleeping (or trying to) hanging on a big-wall ???                                  

~r2~

If a situation called for it I would have a go at it... I would definitely seek out a bit of "training" before I even made an attempt at it but I would definitely love to do something like that in the future.

10:23 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Just jumped in eBay ( I have something listed, so needed to check, anyhow).

Do a search.   "All Categories" ... and, type-in "Ferrino".

Comes-up showing a new mummy bag ... a vacuum bottle (cost almost as much as the mummy bag) ... a couple of 4p tents ( Int'l sellers).

~r2~

That blue tent is a cabin lol... Is that a spin drift collar around the bottom of it? Huh? I looked, that is indeed for use in snow. WOW!!! 

10:40 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have a MSR "Velo" (for biking enthusiasts, such as myself) tent on "watch".

Auction almost ready to close, and bidding is up to $710 !!   34 bidders !! Check it out.

I'm bailing on it.   Too rich for my blood.

~r2~

10:43 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am familiar with the Velo but would not pay that much for it.

10:45 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

@Rick:  Did you find a price list on current models?

@Robert:  I'm sick right now and did not see these.  Those appear to again warrant more investigation.  That is one of the finest looking tents at that price point for a 5-6 man car camping tent.  Two of my relitives asked me to look for this type of tent and after reviewing , TFN, Marmot, Colman, Serria Design and  some others I have found all of these tents woefully lacking in quality, materials used and pricepoint.  I will try and find out more about these tents.  Thanks

10:49 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

apeman said:

@Rick:  Did you find a price list on current models?

Nothing as of yet, but if you look at the link I posted for the reviews on the previous models on Trailspace apparently someone in the US carried them. 

I can't seem to find anyone here stateside that has them so I am contacting Ferrino directly to see what I can come up with.

10:55 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Sweeeeeeeet.  Post when you have more info.  I would guess them to be in line or a little less than Exped, which I'm now also investigating.  So little time, so many tents.

10:59 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

@Brian:  Get well, 'Bro !

I use "Scottish penicillin"...   (Scotch).   It's organic, and all-natural.

~r2~

11:04 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

I was considering these a while back on backcountry.com. The were on sale in the low 300's orginally around $500 for the model I was looking at (2 man), don't remember the model name.

11:08 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jake W said:

I was considering these a while back on backcountry.com. The were on sale in the low 300's orginally around $500 for the model I was looking at (2 man), don't remember the model name.

That's where I saw them before. Thanks for the reminder Jake.

11:10 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Their other stuff(packs n bags) look pretty sweet too.

11:16 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

That MSR Velo ( eBay listing, about to close ) is a GREAT-looking tent.  Almost $800. now.   Listing info says it's sorta a clone of a Moss "Star-gazer"  tent.   What a terrrific vesti !   Could get a couple bikes and gear in there.

O0oops !    Didn't mean to hijack this Ferrino  tent subject.   But that tent (MSR) caught my attention.

~r2~

11:17 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This is the only contact I found in the US:

U.S.A: CARIBOU INC.
Dorval
TEL. + 514 6361112
FAX + 514 6363285
info@caribou.ca
www.caribou.ca

11:18 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

That MSR Velo ( eBay listing, about to close ) is a GREAT-looking tent.  Almost $800. now.   Listing info says it's sorta a clone of a Moss "Star-gazer"  tent.   What a terrrific vesti !   Could get a couple bikes and gear in there.

O0oops !    Didn't mean to hijack this Ferrino  tent subject.   But that tent MSR) caught my attention.

~r2~

No worries. I don't get to bent on the hi-jacking thing. As long as we get back to the original topic eventually I am fine lol.

11:29 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

WOW !!

That MSR Velo sold for $920 with 44 bids !

Who'da thunk ?

~r2~

11:30 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thats over twice of what the retail was lol. 

11:37 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Rick - it weighs the same as a Hilleberg Soulo.  GET THE SOULO!

11:41 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

CWF said:

Are you referring to the Emporer? I was just looking at them. I am interested though. 

CWF- any chance you know anything about this company or its tents? They have been around for a very long time. Trying to find out as much as I can about them. apeman posted a link to their history. Seems pretty extensive. Also seems as though a few well knowns used them including Reinhold Messner.

11:45 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

WOW !!

That MSR Velo sold for $920 with 44 bids !

Who'da thunk ?

~r2~

$920 buys a lot of tent(s).  I don't think a three season 3 man MSR tent is worth that.  But I guess 44 people think it was (is) worth more than I do.

11:55 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

But I can keep my bike from getting stolen by the bears....

12:10 a.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Sweet little BIVY HL ss11, it looks just like my Walrus Arch, only a lot smaller!

I checked the CARIBOU INC site but did not find anything in the states.  I looks like they are a distributor not a retailer.  :(

Very nice looking tents though.

Wolfman

12:11 a.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Wonder what Gary Palmer uses for HIS biking tent ?

I'll bet he didn't pay anywhere close to $920 for it, whatever it is.

~r2~

1:10 a.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Ferrino gear, including a few tents up until a few months ago, were sold through Departmentofgoods.com, Backcountry.com's outlet site. Saw some go quickly on SteepandCheap.com, even a 4 season tent! Wish I had the $$$ to buy at the time. I think they get distribution for surplus Ferrino gear once a year, so check the site every once in a while. Dept of Goods still has 2 Ferrino daypacks and an expedition duffel from Ferrino USA.

11:25 a.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

CWF said:

Are you referring to the Emporer? I was just looking at them. I am interested though. 

CWF- any chance you know anything about this company or its tents? They have been around for a very long time. Trying to find out as much as I can about them. apeman posted a link to their history. Seems pretty extensive. Also seems as though a few well knowns used them including Reinhold Messner.

Rick - no.  You are the first to bring them up!  Interesting designs but the weight is deep into Hilleberg territory.

11:30 a.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

CWF said:

Rick - no.  You are the first to bring them up!  Interesting designs but the weight is deep into Hilleberg territory.

It seems as though 90% of their designs implement snow skirts. Even a good bit of their 3 season models. I guess what we consider "3 season" tents here in the states is up for debate lol.

2:06 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

In the continued hijack of this thread: regarding the MSR Velo, please see this thread, which clarifies that the origin of the MSR Velo is the humble Walrus Velo, as well as commenting on the current pricing trend on eBay. What really surprises me with this last Velo auction is that it was sold to a U.S. buyer(olskool_chevy), who spent a total of $1688, with the addition of a Dana Design Nuk Tuk for $768.

5:01 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I definitely want more info on Ferrino tents, High Lab tents in particular. I want to get R2 in the Portaledge preferably above 10,00ft. :)

5:11 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

abman47 said:

In the continued hijack of this thread: regarding the MSR Velo, please see this thread, which clarifies that the origin of the MSR Velo is the humble Walrus Velo, as well as commenting on the current pricing trend on eBay. What really surprises me with this last Velo auction is that it was sold to a U.S. buyer(olskool_chevy), who spent a total of $1688, with the addition of a Dana Design Nuk Tuk for $768.

Thanks for that info abman.  Interestingly enough a MSR Velo just went for $200 in the North Dakota Craigslist dated 2011-08-14.  $920 vrs $200 .  Now that seems pretty silly to me.

9:15 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I definitely want more info on Ferrino tents, High Lab tents in particular. I want to get R2 in the Portaledge preferably above 10,00ft. :)

I'm game, Rick.

Now ... if Hurricane Irene tracks about 100 miles off-shore, along the Atlantic Coast, and continues on up to New England ... there's gonna be some righteous swells ( "overhead" --  12-ft and up)  kicking up.

That means I'm heading to Montauk Point   My old girlfriend is part Montawkett Indian (there was a reservation there) and might put us up for a couple nights.

Barring that, we'll 'camp-out' of my Vanagon.

Tell your wife you'll be in good hands.   You might wanna ask around for a wetsuit.   I've got the boards.

Not-to-worry ... if you can swim, you'll probably live.   Sharks aren't too worrisome, but there are VW Beetle-sized rocks to negotiate over and around, just inside the break.   Adds to the excitement.

~r2~

4:39 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Hey Rick,

They used to sell Ferrino backpacks in Israel some years ago, my brother got one (I got it for him on deal). They are OK, but nothing to be too excited about. Simple design, the craft-work must be good as the pack is still holding. I don't know how their tents are, but I find it hard to believe they worth the money.

4:56 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I'm not really into their packs either. My main focus is on their tents.

6:26 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ferrino HighLab windtunnel testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG1mI78FM20&feature=related

They look pretty solid.

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply