The eternal ID Wedge Door question answered

9:37 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I you don't want to read all of this then scroll to the bottom and find the answer.  If you want the story plus a bunch of Intergrel Designs info that is very interesting then read this:

So ever since Rick posted the pictures and the information about the Intergrel Designs  Wedge I started trying to wrap my mind around what this thing was.  A tent with a door on the top. 

Intergral-deisgn-wedge.jpg
When rick posted this I looked................................and I looked................for a very long time.  My first thought was "this is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time".  The I thought, stop, your obviouly jumping to conclusions,  so I read what all had to say.  Later on, my second and third thoughts were, "man, this is still the dumbest thing I've seen in a really really long time" at least had given myself time to expand my thoughts.  I was and had been trying to figure out for the last month or so as to why a Respected tent maufacture had made a tent with a door pointing to the sky.  Little was allayed after finding out that they have a removable yet necessary vestibule that if left at home, lost, blowen away by the wind, damaged by the wind, damaged by falling objects, incert your own personally thought up disaster, ect.

Intergral-deisgn-wedge-2.jpg
So, a large number of times while tring to go to sleep I thought of this tent right before drifting off to sleep, or not now, as I was wide awake trying to figure out what the heck this thing for.  Can you imagine weathering a week long snow storm with a door facing up wards, how about a week long rain storm in the North West with 20 inches of rain.  Or better yet, how about a there day howling ,raging sand storm.   So staying up until late into the mornings on many night, some times till light was begining in the sky I delved into the recess of as many backpaing, outdoor, tent, hunting,and any other fourm that mentioned the tents name (I have found that we are truly blessed to have a fourm such as Trailspace).  It took me a while to remember that there is a Cached function on Google.  As I'm sitll on Dial-up my search was expdentionally increased, thank my deity I rememberd the Cached function or I would have gone mad reading my way thru some of these sites.  Days and weeks went by with much recherche and little answers.  I even went to their web site where I was given a small clue but this grasshoper did not pass the priviate eye test.  I went back to the site time and time again as I trolled all the other sites that had information.  While I was own on my motorcycle trip for three weeks on a micro brewery tour and going to the Longbeach kite festivel this topic took up much of my though process (along with many thoughts regarding"Risky behavior", still thinkin about "risky behavior").  Today I was PMing Rick when yet again I brought up the subject of the Wedge door mystery.  We had already gone thru the gamit of what it could be and come up with nothing.  I finally suggested a backwoods crack house, it was all I could finally come up with while Rick thought because of its flame retardent rating (now that thinkin)  that maybe it was a portable backwoods meth lab.  I then though ok this is enough, this is wakked, WHY DOSE SOMEBODY JUST PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS DANG THIS IS FOR...................................(real thought process kicks in and tells me, yea dude, why don't you just call them)............huh..........I had now just embarresed myself infront of myself.  Ok then I googled there site and got there phone number but something was amiss.

This where I take the time to offer my condolances to those who proudly raise the Maple Leaf on thier Flag poles.  I am sorry for the loss of your premier tent maker/manufacture to another country.  You will be happy (or not so much) to know that Integral Designs has not left the North American Continent.

When I looked at the phone numeber the prefix was that of the place I grew up in as a child.  That's weird I thought.  I was 303.  The Colorado front range,....... further more ther address was listed as an address in Louiseville, CO, just a hop,skip and jump away from Boulder.  So I called.  Karen answered the phone and the first thing I asked her was if, since they were located in Canada, was this the American office at which point she replied no this is where the company is now based.  The way I understand it a UK company has bought them and moved them to the US under  RAB USA LLC wich is owned itself buy the UK company Equiptment Outdoor Technology.  I so hope I got it right , but it is along those lines.  She also inform me that all of Integral Designs tents will now be made in China, but that all the same standards of quality and material will still be kept and meat.  I respond that I very much hope so and that only time will tell, though I belived her.  So I explained that reason I am calling has to do with one of there tents.  As you all know I don't beat around the bush (unless I'm writing on of these things   ;-}}}> ) I started out  by asking her "knowing that gravity exeists, why did you build a tent with a door that opens upwards, to the sky.  Before she can answer I explain why I'm wondering and how much thought I'd put into trying to figure this out.  Thru my minds third eye I could see her smiling as I could just tell she had an answer for me.  She waited unit I explaied everything and with a bemused vioice told me,  "So........With the theme of Jepeordy the...........the answer is"...............what is a tactical snipers tent.  Dang I said that is the only thing this tent would be good for, that's great,  Then I said, now I want one.  Can you imagine if you camoed the tent, spread a bit of alfalfa about and waited for Mr. Deer or Mr. Elk........dang, now that's my idea of hunting.  She agreed with my assessment of the tent and informed me that there will be a new model with a better positioned door to make the tent more user friendly.   We then spent about 15 minutes discuess the fine art of venting tents.  Since this tent has no real practical use other than hunting and or if your a sniper I would expect that some of these will be avaliable in the near future for very good prices,  I am now on the hunt.  I want one now that is has a purpose, and I just might go hunting now.

For those who just want and answer:

The answer is it was designed for the US military as a tactical sniper tent.

9:58 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ok, so to me that makes logical sense. What doesn't make sense is the amount of individuals that would be interested in this tent if its sole design wasn't for tactical use and there was more protection for wet weather. Lets face it, I think most consumers would be civilians. Unless of course they are in a militia, or they have gone totally overboard with the whole paintball thing and like to run multi-day recon missions on the mountain while painting their enemies in a multitude of colors.

No disrespect to hunters, I myself am still one at heart but I have taken a step back as far as how into hunting I actually am. I personally would opt for a blind over this for many reasons that I will not get into here. 

My question is why wouldn't they initially redesign the entry point so more individuals such as climbers as well as 4 season hikers would be more interested in this model? Kind of a civilian model in a sense... The whole need of the added vestibule just seems like a real pain in the you know what as it sits at the moment. As you stated above, one more thing to lose, damage, etc. Not to mention the added cost that must be accepted to purchase the vesti in order to truly make this a functional shelter in the backcountry. 

Did they give ya any kind of idea what the new design will be as far as the entry point goes? 

If it wasn't for the design of the door I would already own this shelter. 

Here is a pic of what I believe to possibly be a tactical model:

wedge-drab.jpg

For a solo shelter for me for multi-day hikes this offers just enough head room for me and I am definitely interested in what the new design will incorporate.

10:13 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

That was AWESOME!  Truly one of the most long winded posts I have ever forced myself to read.  Yet, it wasn't a chore.  Nice job.  However, I would add that the door is shaped that way to permit easy ingress and egress.  At least this was the explanation given to me by Evan Jones directly when he still had control of ID in Calgary.

Now just to wet the appetitite of ye Event freaks, there is an eVent MK XL on Ebay that is....new.  It also appears to have an eVent vestibule.  These were only made of one year when GE pulled the plug on using the fabric in tents - i.e. those that you can actually sit up in.  They get around the Wedge by designating it as a bivy.

Here is the link on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Integral-Designs-MKI-XL-eVent-Mountaineering-Tent-/200644156050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb752da92#ht_500wt_1204

10:19 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

@Rick-Pittsburgh:

It sounded to me like it'll be on the taller end or the side maybe with the opening not  opening enough to face the sky.  Being such a low profile tent one would have to lay on your belly to get into it, in the conditions people would be buying this for , they might just be willing to do that.  It would be a tent that one would really only use in high alpine assult situations.  I don't remember what their making it out of now but their going to be making it out of Event when the updated model comes out in 2012.   I find that these types (assult/summit) of tents are in the best conditon as compaired to other types of tents as you only going in to sleep then getting out to climb and usually only used on snow.  Non of this in and out like a base camp or a regular camping situation, as evidenced by my Garuda Atman.  The guy I got if from used it once for a four day trip since 1992 and it was only set up on snow.  I will be sleeping in it tonight.  Looking at the tent(the Wedge) as it sits now it would not be hard to redo the door.  But I would not spend money on a new one and do that I would get it on the cheap and take it to my tent person to make it so that the door would not open to the point of facing the sky

10:25 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

@CWF :  Is this a tent that you are thinking about, my appetitite has been wetted and I am now drooling?  If you are not, I will consider this tent as I do not have any ID tent(s) and would like to have a tent made of Event.   I'm thinking of designing a tent made of Event and I should first see if it really works, first hand as the say.

As far as bing long winded thats why I put a opt out button at the for people to scroll down and get the answer.  Gald you liked it.

10:33 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

I just bought a Mystery Ranch pack so I need to replenish the $$ store.  Seriously though, I would love this MK1 in Event but will defer the opportunity to you.  Get bidding! 

Regarding RAB - they do make event assault type tents that have a 'normal' opening and that are a bit taller than the Wedge.  I am most curious to see how they re-work the Wedge because according to a review at www.backpackinglight.com, the tester found it to be the most wind stable of any cross poled design that he had used above treeline - no doubt due to the low height.

Regarding your post - I am looking forward to more!  Cheers.

10:33 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The current version of the Wedge is made of eVent as well. The minute they mod this door I will order one. I would be using this primarily for longer winter solo trips as well as travelling to AK etc. Having to crawl in it is just fine by me. I like this model because its minimal but not minimal to the point that it is claustrophobic. 

CWF- As far as the MK1 XL goes, its nice and I do like it alot but I want a shelter with a lower profile to handle wind better in the winter in exposed areas. I believe with the lower stance that the Wedge has it should excel in this area. 

That is one heck of a deal on that tent, I highly doubt it will be there very long. 

They have them for sale on the Hille sale thread ya started for $440. 

10:40 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

Yes, and those ones are NOT eVent but Tegraltex (i.e. Gortex).  I think the eVent version only weighs 3 lbs (by memory).  I think the MK tents would do better in snow given their more slanted sides - the Wedge may accumulate a bunch of snow.  The Wedge better in the wind.

I hear you on the Wedge.  In fact, ask VigilGuy how many times I have asked him about it.

I would have thought that www.integraltactical.com would sell a version of the Wedge in Camo given the Sniper commentary.

10:42 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

What is Tegraltex? Ok now I am all confused.

10:46 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

It is ID's proprietary version of Gortex.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/ipage.cfm?page=tegraltex

The appealing thing about this MK XL on Ebay is that it is made instead with Event.  ID was only able to make them for 1 year (or so) before GE said stop (due to the fire retardation issues of the fabric - you can coat it but then it becomes non-breathable).  I saw one go for over $800 that was used.  This one may or may not be a steal.  Depends how much one covets eVent.

10:46 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

Oh - and it is NOT nearly as breathable as eVent but arguably more durable (and heavier).

10:51 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Sorry I miss-worded that. I meant which shelter is tegraltex? I suspect you are talking about the MK. 

I am on pain killers for a med condition that I am dealing with so sorry if I am somewhat slow. I never take meds and this stuff is making me loopy...

10:56 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

CWF said:
"Seriously though, I would love this MK1 in Event but will defer the opportunity to you.  Get bidding!"

Thank you.  I will but I only bid within the last 10 seconds when I'm on dial up, and only during the last three seconds when I'm on high speed.  I refuse to be part of the bidding process that knockes stuff up to crazy prices such as the recent MSR Velo that went for $920 when one just sold on Craigslist for $200. 

My guess is that ID will be making many of their tents out Event now as Karen said that as a result of the sale of the company that they now have much wider access to Event material.  I did spend about 30 min. on the phone with her discussing many tent thoughts and ideas.  It is what I imagine heaven to be like.  Now I'm of to take my medication, as I don't want to become to obsessive over anything ;-}}}>

12:15 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Sorry I miss-worded that. I meant which shelter is tegraltex? I suspect you are talking about the MK. 

I am on pain killers for a med condition that I am dealing with so sorry if I am somewhat slow. I never take meds and this stuff is making me loopy...

Oh - okay.  The link to Ebay is for the eVent MK XL that is not made anymore.  The current MK XL is made of Tegraltex and which is on sale at Neptune Mountaineering (the other link I posted today re: Hillebergs on Sale).

12:17 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

apeman said:

Now I'm of to take my medication, as I don't want to become to obsessive over anything ;-}}}>

Hilarious.

Are you familiar with the Black Diamond One Shot?  I always felt that if that shelter was made out of eVent it would have been perfect (side entry, two pole design, suitable sitting height, freestanding, under 3 lbs).  Maybe Rab will go crazy for 2012.....

4:44 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

apeman said:

..The answer is it was designed for the US military as a tactical sniper tent.

Strange, I asked the same question and they said it was for auto mechanics who needed to overnight while working under vehicles.

Ed

2:56 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

whomeworry said:

apeman said:

Strange, I asked the same question and they said it was for auto mechanics who needed to overnight while working under vehicles.

Ed

I luv this, best comment here for a long time! Goodonya!

3:07 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

whomeworry said:

apeman said:

Ed

Ed, sounds like we know the same people lol.

3:17 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

whomeworry said:

apeman said:

Ed

Ed, sounds like we know the same people lol.

Or own the same model vehicle.

Ed

8:56 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
211 forum posts

Wow, that is amazing to see that event tent on Ebay!  Would be tempting to get it, but I am 6'1" and I touch at both ends.  I owned one in Tegraltex and sold it because it was not long enough.

Great tent, if one has the $$ to get it.  it will be a cold day in he** before that model shows up again!

10:13 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@vigilguy-Yes it will it will be a cold day for sure.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply