Urban bivouac'ing during Hurricane Irene -- What gear do you suggest to have on hand for "hunkering down" ??

3:05 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Was just tawkin' to G/F on the phone ....

Hurricane Irene is predicted to be upon us here in Maryland, near the Chesapeake Bay in 36 hours or less.  Talbot County Emergency Management Co-ordinating System just called (via recorded message) to inform that a Hurricane Warning has been issued for our area.

G/F lives in Annapolis  (Anne Arundel County) ... about an hour's drive to the West, over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

She knows I have a lot of hiking / backpacking gear, and was asking me to bring whatever I thought would be appropriate.   We are expecting power-outtage for undetermined amount of time.

Aside from the usual items (potable water & water for sanitary needs ... candles ... batteries .... portable radio .... flashlights ... dried food ... fresh fruit ... etc.) ... what ELSE do you suggest ?

Most of my gear is in a rented storage warehouse.   I'm going to be going there in the morning, to retrieve a few things, like sleeping bags, cook stove, water-treatment stuff, candle lanterns, etc.

She tells me her neighbors are big-time "tail-gaters"  at all the Midshipmen's home games  ( GO NAVY ! )  ... and have high-dollar  portable cooking gear, they will share with us.

G/F is NO "girlie-girl" ( Thank Goodness ), and is a veteran hiker / camper. ... but, she recently loaned all her stuff to her out-of-town daughter.

Neither one of us is much of a fan of board games (I used to be), and we don't have any between us, now.

I guess (?) I'll be waiting for the storm to pass, before heading to the beach with my boards.   Last time I surfed hurricane surf, I had a new $500 board end-up in shards of fibreglass and core-foam.   I was somewhat  beat-up, too.  (to put it mildly)

Ideas and suggestions welcomed !

~r2~

3:35 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,294 forum posts
  • Cash, lots of it.
  • Water sterilization system for drinking purposes.
  • Chain saw (to clear a path if necessary).
  • Electric generator.  Don’t get cute with this however, and hook it into the house service panel.  The electric company will fine you for unauthorized tying into the grid, regardless if you even disconnect the house from the grid.
  • Tents and tarps for shelter if warranted.
  • Duct tape, you always should have duct tape (so they say…)
  • Plywood either to cover up windows before hand, or to cover broken windows afterward.
  • Tools to work with the plywood.
  • Floor squegee to to push water out of damaged house.

Ed

3:43 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally don't think a lil(a ton or so) of C4 couldn't hurt.

In all seriousness though...

A filter or some way to purify water would be the 1st thing on my list.

Dependent upon if you have gas or electric an extra fuel cannister may not be a bad thing. Get perishables and other stuff out of the basement and move it to higher ground (upstairs) if ya have a basement. 

If ya still have electricity a sump pump may not be a bad thing to get the wash-out out of said basement if it happens. If not a handpump will do the job with a bit of effort. Rent one if needed.

Grab a deck of cards, some good scotch(or whatever else ya prefer) a cooler/ice and a few headlamps. 

Ed covered most of what I would go after.

4:02 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Great suggestions ... both of you guys.   Made me  think....    Writing this stuff down, too.

What's "cash" ?

Got the Scotch covered!   Looking to pick-up a bottle of 'Connamarra' -- supposedly great single-malt Irish whiskey.   (never tried it).

Sold my diesel generator (from construction biz).   Wish I still had it now. 

Ed -- "my bad" --  I DID piggy-back it into the house service panel, when out on Long Island during the "Hallowe'en Storm of 1991"  (the storm that was the basis for the movie "The Perfect Storm") ... the entire Island was without power for up to 2 weeks in most places.   I was just fine.  Had ample power (only one in neighborhood).

I have a handy Black & Decker 12V drill (from my sailboat) ... and my trusty Mikita cordless.  Companion Mikita flashlight.

Have a floor-squeegee (somewhere?).   From when Hurricane Isabel nailed us here along the Chesapeake.   EVERYONE had a flooded basement.

~r2~

4:05 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The cash is a big thing as well. Plastic won't do ya much good in a black out.

5:01 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

R2- I had another thought. Ya may want to have extra water set aside in case the water situation gets jacked up so you can still flush the toilets. Even if ya fill a bathtub ahead of time it could be something that ya wish ya did if ya didn't.

Nature calls do not care about storms. If ya can't flush it could be a big problem...

5:53 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I have no suggestions except to be careful.  This one is going to be nasty.

12:44 a.m. on August 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

R2

Been through a few hurricanes. The aftermath of a hurricane is like car camping and hiking combined. You don't have to worry about carrying food, but it's a pain to resupply. 

Stock up on non perishable food and fuel to cook with. I know you have a water filter. Don't know what kind of water filter you have, you may want to pick up a spare filter cartridge if you are going to be filtering for a large number if yours is not cleanable.

If there is a chance a tree could fall on the roof or the roof blow off take several tarps.

4:55 a.m. on August 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I would make it's my lifes goal until the wind starts blowing so hard that you can't go outside any more in an effort to get as much food,water, and gas and any other thing that you can think of along with all the things the people here can think of as you will be riding out all nature as to give you.    I would summon all of your adrenaline as you will be riding out a class 4 or 5 hurricane. Would this be classified under the heading of "risky behavior"?   Or you could just drive inland a bit and come back after.  I know that I would ride it out but it's most certianly not for the faint of heart.  This very well might be a defining experiance in your life.  If you do stop in your efforts to supply and you find you have extra time on your hands you could set up a tent and see if it will weather the storm as well.  And remember FEMA and our goverment does not necessarly have the power to save and or help you in a time of need.   I would give that much consideration in your planning for supplies.  I'm off for a short jorney till Sun.  Good luck in your preperations and may all be well.

2:31 p.m. on August 27, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Can't count the number of hurricanes I have been through.

A water filter is great if you have access to a source of water, but I advise stocking up on bottled water. If you are in an urban area, 20 one gallon jugs of water cant be beat, and it wont go to waste.

Canned food for 2 weeks (stuff you actually will eat) and propane for your coleman stove.

Duct tape if for putting on windows if you dont put plywood over them prior to the storm. The theory is if the glass gets broken, it will help contain some of the mess so glass is not flying like bullets in the house.

Batteries for flashlights, lanterns and radios (and battery operated flashlights, lanterns and radios).

Gas is always in short supply after a hurricane. If the power is down, the pumps dont work. Fill up your vehicles and extra cans of gas.

Fill up your bathtubs and sinks. Unless you are on a gravity fed water system, if the electricity is out, so are the pumps. You will need that water to wash off with  and flush toilets.

Hand sanitizer.

5:46 p.m. on August 27, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

God be with you and your neighbors r2. a short-wave radio would be one of my choices. spare batteries, solar charging panel, etc. I know it's a bit late to chime in. Had I gotten to this post earlier, I would have said the number one priority: a one-way ticket to California...

Thoughts and prayers to all of you on the East Coast.

7:25 p.m. on August 27, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Lot's of good suggestions,

I would add (jokingly) that if you have everything you need to survive....you also need some way to keep others from taking it.

I would recommend bear spray maybe. haha.

7:34 p.m. on August 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

trouthunter said:

I would add (jokingly) that if you have everything you need to survive....you also need some way to keep others from taking it.

That's where the C4 that I mentioned comes into play. ;)

8:51 p.m. on August 27, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

trouthunter said:

That's where the C4 that I mentioned comes into plat. ;)

My bad....C-4 should do the trick. (I thought it was for opening can goods).

I have an older friend who was in the Vietnam war, he told me that C-4 was sometimes used to start fires but they were cautioned not to ever stomp the fire out during the starting process because the combination of heat and pressure (boot stomp) would cause the C-4 to do it's thing.

I don't how true that is, but I'll just use something else to start fires.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply