Death by swan

3:38 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17736292

This would be funny if someone had not actually died.  I'm assuming he did not have a PFD of any kind on as there was no mention of it in the artical and he did drown.

8:55 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

It is sad, but I also don't understand how you could be killed by a swan, I would have used it as my PFD.  I feel that there could be more to this story, may have been under some kind of medication or didn't know how to swim?  We all have some fears, maybe his was a swan, just a bad way to die.

11:30 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

How bizarre and sad.

I've been attacked by Canadian Geese twice, and can entirely see how this can happen, even potentially wearing a PFD. They can be vicious and unflagging in their assault. As far as holding on to the animal, I would be surprised if many grown men could hold onto a flogging, striking, biting, kicking fowl of that size for more that a couple seconds. All it takes is one or two gasps taking in water before things are life threatening. 

11:52 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,363 reviewer rep
631 forum posts

These birds are INCREDIBLY strong and can be really aggressive. I have been charged and nipped at numerous times as they, like many, are very protective of their young. Do not underestimate the muscle mass, and if they are wet/slippery chances are slim to none in holding on.

11:46 a.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

neck grab ?

1:58 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Being bitten hurts, but it's not the end of the world. Birds of this type have extremely powerful wings and legs.  A fellow wildlife rehabilitator, from another facility, had her nose broken by a Canada Goose.

11:29 a.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Just saw another TV news report of this.  Very sad.

11:57 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
947 forum posts

I had a red winged blackbird draw blood from the top of my head when I got too close to a nest.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply