Hemenway Beach to the Back of Hoover Dam

12:40 a.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

image.jpg
Today I loaded up the Yak and headed to Lake Mead for a paddle with my friend. She had bought a new Kayak and wanted to give it a run. So we launched from Hemenway Beach and started paddling out of the harbor 'round 8:30 AM. It was running in the 90's heat wise and there was a cloud cover keeping the sun at bay. There was also a bit of a wind and we were not sure if we would actually do the planned paddle to the dam, given the shore wind.

image.jpg
Noticeably, there was not another kayak in sight but there were plenty of skidoos and boats and the big commercial paddle boat was revving up for a lake tour.

We were both lamenting the 110 degree Saturday Golf round we played yesterday that had sapped our energy and hoped we would be fine today. As we exited the harbor, the water began to chop up and the wind was hitting our faces pretty hard. But we paddled on and it was quite enjoyable.

image.jpg
As we approached the turn where we would go right and see the dam, the wind had us almost at a stand still. But when just kept digging into the water and leaning into the wind.  The closer we got to the turn the harder the wind blew but the finally BAM! We were there and rounded the corner and the wind instantly lessened. The clouds were beat back by the sun and we were roasting on the water and it was GREAT!

image.jpg

As we paddled closer to the dam, I realized that the bandana I had gotten wet and wrapped around my neck was gone. The wind had taken it from me stealthily.

We got to the buoy row that designates the boundary of public access and popped the top on a cool beverage, enjoyed the sun and relaxed.  

Then we had a pretty windless paddle back that was filled with laughter and splashing and great fun. What a way to spend a hot Sunday in "Vegas". As I finish writing this and preparing for the coming work week I am satisfied that I spent my weekend playing outside, just like my mom always insisted!

9:37 a.m. on August 3, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

So fun! I currently only own a rather old and beat up lake canoe and an inflatable kayak, but want to get an all around use kayak suitable for whitewater for my wife and myself both. 

The temps here have been pretty toasty, but the aweful part is our humidity here in the Tennessee Valley. It's been above 85% for weeks, which combined with around 100F is positively terrible. 

What is the water temp at surface on the reservoir?

6:49 p.m. on August 4, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

I don't know but begin the dam it is sorta bath like. Maybe tepid. Below is much cooler water and brisk.

11:07 p.m. on August 8, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

that dam looks a little low.

12:07 a.m. on August 9, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Callahan...my bro and I were talking, and that is actually up from last year.

3:21 p.m. on October 4, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

wow

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply