Waterski school owner harassed canoeist

10:06 a.m. on August 25, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Police-Waterski-school-owner-harassed-canoeist-3813574.php

...Village police said Joseph P. Serth, 48, of Pattersonville, owner of the Camp Mohawk Valley Ski School, intentionally flooded the woman's canoe at 5 p.m. on July 31 by driving his boat close to her canoe and creating a large wake.

Serth then turned his boat and quickly drove toward the 51-year-old woman before making a sharp turn next to her canoe, splashing water onto her and the canoe, police said.

The woman told police that Serth had previously told her that she doesn't belong on the river when he's on it....

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Police-Waterski-school-owner-harassed-canoeist-3813574.php#ixzz24ZCMkJrO

10:24 a.m. on August 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So, not only do we have "road rage" but we also have "attempted aquatic assault..."

Ugghhhhhh... I will make a note to stay away from this area the next time I decide to take my ducky raft and water wings out for a spin. ;)

12:00 p.m. on August 25, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Who put the burr in his undershorts?

Ed

1:30 p.m. on August 25, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

I'm getting set to leave for my annual family paddling trip to the Lake George islands tomorrow and already dreading the gauntlet I have to run till I'm at least a mile away from the Marina.

Heading back to the marina last year, with all the weekend clowns showing up in their power boats, I swore I was bringing a paintball rifle with me this year. But yah, this jack ass was a little out of control.

5:37 p.m. on August 31, 2012 (EDT)
1,367 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Used to do canoe trips from Ottawa to Kingston when I was a kid. The one boat who didn't slow down when he passed us was the Ottawa City Police boat. Jerks.

See the same kind of people on the roads, though.

6:15 p.m. on August 31, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

The happiest days of boat ownership is the day it's purchased and the day it's sold.  I used to own a nice, shiny, fiberglass, Searay.  I sold it two summers ago due to lack of use and the rising fuel costs. With regards to this numbskull, a powerboat at planing speeds produces a much smaller wake than a powerboat which is in the transition from full displacement to planing.  Also a planing hull has a smaller wake then a semi-displacement hull and a full displacement hull has an even smaller wake, unless it is pushed to its maximum hull speed, which then it creates a very large wake.  Enough of hull mechanics!  Maritime law states the boat under power must give way to the non-powered craft and the wake is not to endanger that craft.  What a doosh (intentionally misspelled).

11:50 p.m. on September 5, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

People get killed by antics like this. I think the charges are pretty light, all things considered. I worked on a case a while back in which a drunken boater ran down a family in another boat-killed the father and permanently brain damaged one of the children. That guy is in prison for a long time.

Perhaps they can take away this guy's permit to operate his ski school, if the state or county requires one. That might cool his jets for a while. That and maybe a month in the local lockup, plus a civil suit. That will make his insurance company really happy.

1:49 a.m. on September 6, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

Too much boat, not enough brain, so simple a caveman can do it............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtwaotRf09U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

7:46 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

I was at lake Mohave last weekend and it was very windy with large LARGE swells. I was crossing the swells trying to keep myself angled so the incoming swells would not wash over the side and a jet skier comes crashing by. He squirreld around all over the area (inside the no wake bouy) and endangered me and my paddleing friend as well as swimmers in the area. Idiots.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply