Don't bother visiting Illinois

11:18 p.m. on July 21, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,336 reviewer rep
832 forum posts

I just discovered today that my home state is now charging $6 for any non-motorized watercraft to be on Illinois waterways. Yep, if I want to take my family of 5 on an inner-tube float down the river, it will cost me $30 to do it.

http://www.daily-journal.com/archives/dj/display.php?id=508937

2:24 a.m. on July 22, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Jefferey I use to tube and raft during college on a local river by my university.During spring and summer I would hit the river two days a week. I cant amagine the price I would have to pay if they had this there..

7:53 a.m. on July 22, 2013 (EDT)
6,336 reviewer rep
832 forum posts

It's absolutely ridiculous. Next they'll charge a tax for simply being outside.

11:56 a.m. on July 22, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,214 forum posts

In the West, there are boat inspections for non-native species. Many cost money and most will soon. ATVs have to be registered. Power boats have to be registered. Human powered craft are being registered in more and more states.

We have increasing government interference, but it also provides a way to track ownership and theft. It provides funding for access improvement, and water quality programs.

12:17 p.m. on July 22, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

I just cant comprehend how non motorized water craft have a problem with Sustainability? Makes no sense when petroleum products are what pollute the eco system..Just another way to tax you..

3:48 p.m. on July 22, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,214 forum posts

Denis,

Non-motorized water craft are often made from petroleum based materials and metals like aluminum or plastic. People burn lots of fuel in vehicles to get to a destination to use their non-motorized craft. Old boats go in landfills. Theft is an increasing problem and registering boats helps find the owners.

7:08 p.m. on July 22, 2013 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I understand the importance of having fee to protect the environment.  When you go to your location you are paying fuel tax, the car you drive you pay a sells tax, the food you buy sometimes you pay sales tax, if you drink you are paying sales tax, plus tax on the alcohol.  The tire on that car has tax, the clothes you wear are tax, and just working you pay a tax, after a hard week I need to pay more to the government?  I buy my park passes, wilderness permits, parking fees, and still I’m asking for a donation.  I’m ask to pay camping fee and more, I pay property tax.  I would gladly pay more if I know that I will benefit others and/or feel I am getting my money worth, but the money is not being spent for the public enjoyment more for self interest of politicians.  The fee that you describe I feel will effect the family negatively because they can’t afford that none motor trek in the water and enjoy the freedom of the great outdoors.  Now I will get off my soap box and hope everyone here is doing great.

10:17 p.m. on July 22, 2013 (EDT)
6,336 reviewer rep
832 forum posts

I think some of you are missing the point. I'm not registering a canoe. I'm paying $6 to take an inner tube down a stream.

And as one commentator pointed out...it will cost more for the state to police this new policy than will be collected from the fees.

7:50 p.m. on July 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

So if I water-ski and fall in, wearing a life jacket, does that count?  Sounds like the government misses its money and wants it back. 

9:03 p.m. on July 25, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

Vote with your feet(move)

8:15 a.m. on July 26, 2013 (EDT)
6,336 reviewer rep
832 forum posts

TheRambler said:

Vote with your feet(move)

Rambler,

If it were just me, I would. Illinois ranks last in a number of issues, and Chicago politics rule this state.

I promised my wife I would only move us away from family & friends if I had a job opportunity that could just not be missed out on. I've passed up on 2 tantalizing job offers in the past 2 years (one was an hour from Springer Mountain, GA) because they didn't meet that criteria.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply