VIDEO: Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Provincial Park

8:25 a.m. on August 28, 2013 (EDT)
111 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

The Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Provincial Park, is a huge track of wilderness land located in south-central Ontario, about an hour south of Algonquin Provincial Park.  This park has an "non-maintained" status, meaning there are no services found here. No ranger station, no parking lot, no guide books, not even any fees to pay...kind of like camping on crown land!  My son and I have been documenting routes in the park and posting them on Youtube and our website.  Here's a video from a trip we took in June 2013.

Cheers

Wayne

2:31 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Nice video, Wayne. Thanks for sharing.

8:48 p.m. on September 17, 2013 (EDT)
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Wayne, as a Canadian, I'm surprised to see your son using the "goon" stroke rather than the "J" or Canadian strokes!

11:50 p.m. on September 17, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
368 forum posts

Wow...was that to go-pros in the same boat...what impressive production you have Wayne! The trip looked amazing...trailblazing is so inspiring...until you mention the portaging:-)

8:23 a.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
111 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Erich wrote:     Wayne, as a Canadian, I'm surprised to see your son using the "goon" stroke rather than the "J" or Canadian strokes!

Ya, he's kind of developed his own style over the years.  He's been taught by me and obtained several levels of ORCA certification as well, but the main thing is he does most of the steering (giving me time to 'film' while up front), so as long as he keeps the boat straight I'm OK with whatever stroke works. When it comes to paddle strokes, I'm kinda old school.  My dad taught me how to canoe and we never had names for various strokes, he just showed me how different paddle movements effect the boats progress, so when people ask me "What stroke do I use?"  I just say, "The one that moves the boat!"  

Cheers

-Wayne-

8:29 a.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
111 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Joseph Renow wrote:        Wow...was that two go-pros in the same boat...what impressive production you have Wayne! The trip looked amazing...trailblazing is so inspiring...until you mention the portaging:-)

Thanks Joseph, I'm glad you liked the video.  Yes, you did see two GoPros mounted in our canoe.  Both Brad and I own the first generation GoPro Hero HD.  Theses cameras are great, because they are small, waterproof and shoot beautiful High Defenition video.  I would recommend them to anyone looking for a waterproof and durable camera to use around boating activities.   

Cheers

-Wayne-

11:22 a.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

So many strokes and they all have their uses. The one your son uses, is what Bill Mason referred to as the "goon" stroke...basically a forward stroke followed by a pry. Effective for a ww playboat but a waste of energy for long trips. For a proper "J", the thumb should finish down with the wrist bent. The best stroke for tripping and general flatwater use is the Canadian stroke. It is a forward stroke with an in the water recovery using a bit of a lever off the gunnel during the recovery. These and others are all described in the series I did for TS on canoeing.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply