Quinoa

3:42 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,597 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

The guy at the store corrected my pronounciation; evidently, this stuff is pronounced KEEN-Wah.

The vegetarians will laugh that I discovered this stuff so late in the game but oh well. 

Its this high-protien member of the goosefoot (lambsquarters to you farmers) family that is ultra healthy and is even more versitile than rice in making yummy stuff.  I won't boor you with recipes, there are a ton online, but I add it to salads and use it everywhere I would add rice.  I even added a bunch into an omelette. 

The small kernals tend to clog the teeth a bit and I imagine the more gaps you have the worse this will become (add the rural Eastern Washington joke here).

I'm no vegetarian but this stuff is great. 

One drawback is the expense.  HOLY COW is it expensive compared to other grains (corn, rice, wheat).  So my point in writing is:

Anyone got a line on this stuff in bulk for cheap?

10:44 a.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

Our local Raley's Supermarket (Stockton, CA) has Quinoa in bulk bins.

7:00 a.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

http://nuts.com/cookingbaking/grains/quinoa/ might be a good place for you.  I don't know how the prices compare to what you're used to but they seem to have decent prices for what I was able to find online.

7:25 a.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

All of the stores in my area sell it(including mainstream grocery stores). However the cheapest place by far is an organic grocery store called Whole Foods, which is a chain but i don't know how big. They have it in bulk bins and its fairly cheap(don't remember the exact price).

3:31 p.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Sage glad you asked because can't find it near me. Have to go to Richmond to the closest Whole Foods or DC....

12:26 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,312 forum posts

Since it is one of the native grains of the Andes, you can find it in ethnic food markets serving Latin American neighborhoods. Which, here in the SFBay area, includes even Safeway. Mi Pueblo is a fairly large chain in California that is targeted to the Latin American populace, but has been spreading to other states. Shops that target the Tex-Mex populace don't seem to carry it (or a lot of other South American ingredients).

When Barb and I were in Peru last summer, we were served a number of different dishes based on quinoa (the name is Quechuan, one of the 4 principal languages in the Incan empire/confederation). Some were salad-like, some used the grain as Middle Eastern countries use couscous, and sometimes like piling up potatoes (also Incan origin - still find several hundred varieties of potatoes in the Andes), or a pile of corn (something like 200 varieties of corn in the markets in the Andean countries, including one super-sweet variety with the kernels as big as your thumb - not available in the US as far as I can find out - corn is another Andean origin food), or mixed with some type of meat (beef, llama, lamb, chicken, turkey ... I passed on the guinea pig, though).

12:52 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

Quinoa is good stuff...I most often prepare it as a side dish and cook it in vegetable broth rather than water.

Bill S,

So with all of your travels, what would you say is the most exotic thing you've eaten?

I ate some iguana in Mexico once, and it was actually pretty good.

8:20 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,312 forum posts

Patman said:

Bill S,

So with all of your travels, what would you say is the most exotic thing you've eaten?

You don't really want to know {8=>O

"Exotic" is all in the eye (or mouth) of the beholder.

4:37 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

I grew the plants last summer... Very easy to grow, full sun, dry conditions, and quite the oddity in the garden. I harvested late Sept, and dried the seed heads (they look like super sized mary jane...) The problem is separating the husks from the seeds. Time consuming. I ended up with quite a bit, though... 

7:11 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

I saw a small box of "Keen-wah" in a local grocery store the other day. It was around $6.00, I may try it out despite the price.

9:31 a.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,068 forum posts

I like the taste a lot.  I'll mix it with some veggie bullion and canned chicken for a great one-pot meal.  Some olive oil too?  Wonderful.

12:46 p.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

"Quinoa Puffs" are carried by our Artesian Natural Foods.  They're an alternative to trying to dry yourself.  

Just add to anything.  I put them in soups, salads, yogurts, etc.

5:21 p.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

In nearby Annapolis (MD) there is a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's within walking-distance of each other (and an EMS and Hudson Trail Outfitters, next door, as well) ... probably, 1/2 mile apart.   

Lucky me.  Going there tomorrow.

Have been a recovering-carnivore  (otherwise known as a "vegetarian")  since the BiCentennial.

"Keen-wha" is NOT expensive.   

I just bought some Pecorino-Reggiano (Romano and Parmasiano cheeses from Italia) at $19.99 / lb.   Locatelli is less expensive, but not quite the same.

Compare:

Almond-Butter runs about $5-$6 / lb.

Good Greek yoghurt is about $3.50-$4 / lb.

Good Pesto with basil is about $6 for 7 oz. (why I make my own)

Quinoa is very high on the list of excellent source of protein and other fine nutrients.   Versatile, as well.  Tasty.   :Yummmm ....

pax vobiscum

~ r2 ~

7:13 p.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Wife and I made black bean and Quinoa street tacos last week. fantastic stuff.

12:10 a.m. on March 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

have you guys seen the quonia flakes. they are rolled just like oats and cook really quick, almost to point of just add boiling water. quite the thing for backpacking.

the downside of  quonia is that with increased demand in the usa prices go up in south america, bad for everbody but the exporters. it can be planted here in the usa, be sure to get a variety that is suited to your elevation as most varieties do best in high elevations. a neighbor, here in oregon, grew some differnet plots and told me that his did best when he never watered it. that is my kind of gardening.

5:39 a.m. on March 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yeah. Did see the quinoa flakes. Was wondering how they taste, compared to the regular, granular kind. I like to cook the quinoa to a "al dente" consistency.

~ r2 ~

8:45 a.m. on March 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

i've only tried the flakes a few times and they were not the gourmet experience that the whole grain can be. but for trailside cooking they are probably more nutrious than oat meal. ymmv 

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply