Couscous

12:51 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

One of my favorite and easy trail meals is couscous.  Couscous is actually a pasta made from semolina flour but it is in tiny grains so some people think it's a grain.  As you probably know, it's a staple in North African/Moroccan cuisine.  To cook, all you do is add an equal amount of boiled water to the couscous, cover and let sit off the heat for 5 minutes.

Now to make it delicious:

Prepare a little baggie with spices: cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper,soup powder,  garlic, curry, paprika, etc. whatever you like.  Another baggie with an ounce or two of dehydrated vegetable mix. Another with an ounce or two of raisins. And lastly, an ounce or so of toasted pine nuts. 

Rehydrate the vegetables, spices and raisins in some boiled water.  Then mix in the uncooked couscous and the rest of the hot water.  Stir and let sit covered for 5 minutes.  Add the pine nuts. 

Enjoy!

10:44 a.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,230 forum posts

I have never tries couscous.   I am interested.   Is it more/less/similar filling than rice?

11:34 a.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Couscous is quite filling and I'd unscientifically say it has the stomach filling qualities of rice.  It's really just pasta that's been formed into tiny grains.  Also comes in whole wheat version that has a bit more good stuff in it.  Anyway, for about $1.50 you can pick up a box.  I find it addictive.  Best of all, it requires no actual cooking -- just pour boiled water over it and let sit for 5 minutes.

12:44 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

We love Couscous at my house. We eat it at home often and it always goes on trail with us. No doubt, one of the easiest things to make & very satisfying. We buy the pre-made? version in a box "Near East" with the spices already included. Love the roasted Garlic & Olive Oil. Mix it with chopped peppers & onions... Dam, now I'm hungry.

10:03 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I know that brand and flavor, too. Good stuff. Are you familiar with Harissa? That's the Moroccan hot sauce made from chillies, tomatoes and garlic. It mates magically with couscous and makes the dish levitate like a flying carpet en route to Marrakech.

10:25 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Harissa... No, not familiar with it, but will have to look it up now.

4:37 p.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I knew cous cous very long time ago, but never really were into it. Until about 2 years ago. We have spent a week in Morocco, and since then is regular dish of us. 

Even if I cannot get boiling hot water for instance in a mountain refuge, I can still mix it with tap warm water, let it sit for 10-15 minutes and it is ready. It is very easy to make, stays good for long, resists to heat and sunlight. Just perfect. If I did the Marathon des Sables I would definitely include it.

4:57 p.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Harissa is a delicious addition to couscous. We have couscous for breakfast on the trail and I add marzipan, almonds and dried cherries to it. I also make a dinner version that uses caraway. If you like I can post a few recipes. 

9:41 a.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,230 forum posts

Ok, eating hummus was a big leap of faith for me into the exotic-sounding food arena.   This week. I looked past the exotic sounding name of couscous and tried this pasta and I must say I am impressed.  My Four year old, who just returned from McMinnville to see howard Hughes' creation calls the stuff "Spruce Goose" and thinks we are going to see the airplanes again when we eat it. 

Despite all this, I liked it so much and i t was so easy to make that I plan on bringing it on my next hike this Friday. 

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply