Hot Chocolate Banana Smoothie

10:53 a.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

I used this recipe from www.wildernesscooking.com

Hot Chocolate Banana Smoothie

1/2 cup instant banana cream pudding mix
3/4 cup hot cocoa mix (hot chocolate mix)
1/3 cup powdered milk

At Home: Mix the dry ingredients together and place them in a ziplock freezer bag.
At Camp: Shake the bag of dry ingredients to ensure they are well combined. Place 3 tablespoons of mix in a cup and carefully fill it with 8 ounces of boiling water. Stir until the ingredients dissolve. Repeat for each desired serving.

SO EASY! SO GOOD! I mixed a double, maybe tripple dose up in my quart water bottle along with cold water. After lots of shaking everything mixed together pretty well. The problem is keeping some of this until the last day of the hike. The kids guzzled it down, leaving me a few bubbles in the bottom! It gave them some quick energy and helped them hydrate faster.

I used full fat powdered milk from the ethnic section of the store because its cheaper and adds more calories which seem to be lacking in some camping food.

1:22 p.m. on June 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Wow that sounds delicious, I wonder if that would work well with other types of instant pudding mix, (other fruit flavors). I will definatly be giving that a try!

And a quick question on the full fat powedered milk, I have been tryin to find one that I could take backpacking that tasted good (well the best you can get with powdered at least) and was just curious at what sorta store you bought yours at and even the brand would be awesome to know.

Tulley

6:58 p.m. on June 9, 2010 (EDT)
3,325 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

I bought mine at WalMart in the Mexican food section. I think the brand was Nestle. It was way cheaper than the one in the baking aisle. Pretty much everything in that section is cheaper than its baking aisle equivalent.

I don't like drinking powdered milk and haven't tried it for years. I can't say how Nestle tastes straight but its great with cocoa powder and pudding mix. I also use it in powdered potatoes.

11:26 a.m. on September 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Hey... that's my recipe (thanks for posting it - my kid loves it).

It does work well with other flavors. Try vanilla pudding and some orange crystals such as tang and some Nido. Hot Orange Creamsicle.

3:54 a.m. on November 9, 2010 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for the recipe. I tried it this past weekend on a Troop camp out. Needless to say the boy's wiped me out of every bit I had. I will definitely have to try the other flavors.

1:28 p.m. on November 11, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

wow I will definitely be trying this on my next outing. One question does it make you very thirsty? Hot chocolate is usually just warming and refreshing, but I'm wondering if the addition of the pudding makes you want to guzzle water after? If so, I'll save it as an "in camp" treat...but if not, I might fill a thermos with it for on the go.

4:01 p.m. on November 11, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

LaurieAnn,

I buy Mint Cocoa by the big can and am wondering how well it will work or do you think I would be better off just buying some plane?

12:28 p.m. on November 18, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

It should work but I'm not sure I'd like that with banana. I'd be more inclined to add 1/2 teaspoon of instant espresso powder to the mint cocoa and maybe a vanilla pudding. It would be a minty mocha latte smoothie sort of thing. 

10:59 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

laurieann I was wondering if you have the pack weight of some of your recipes? They sound excellent and I would like to take some with me this summer. thank you

3:11 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

And a quick question on the full fat powedered milk, I have been tryin to find one that I could take backpacking that tasted good (well the best you can get with powdered at least)

Try adding coffee creamer to your powdered milk mix.  Its not the cure, but makes a good improvement.

7:06 p.m. on December 6, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Hi Denis... I don't include the pack weight because, at least with the home-dehydrated fare, that can vary due to factors like how dry one makes the food, size of the pieces, size of portion, etc. We generally try to keep our food weight to 1 to 1 1/2 pound per person per day (Bryan's is always heavier than mine as he is a man and needs more calories to keep him going).

Also, we are of the mind that our food is light enough and it is consumable... so if we are going to cut weight we will do other things like take a lighter shelter, use lightweight technical clothing, leave luxuries at home.

7:35 p.m. on December 6, 2010 (EST)
3,325 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

When I want to cut weight off my gear I like to skip a few desserts and exercize a bit more.  It helps a lot.  All fun aside though, this recipe is AMAZING and weighs about what powdered hot cocoa weighs, depending on how strong you mix it. 

2:05 p.m. on December 7, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

lol... FromSagetoSnow - in that case I've reduced my weight by 170 pounds (you just fell off your computer chair didn't you? Or, you need to pick your lower jaw up off the keyboard?). Kidding aside (well I wasn't kidding about the weight loss bit)... I don't eat dessert at home unless it is a very special occasion and then I have such a ridiculously small portion that the mice won't even touch it. I'm diabetic (who is completely obsessed with keeping tight control of the disease) so these types of treats are only feasible when I've been hiking all day. 

Thanks for the compliment. I'm making these drink mixes, putting them in fancy little packages and giving them with Christmas mugs as little gifts for my friends this year. I'm also playing around with some vegan versions and some unique tea-based concoctions. I'll be sure to post more recipes when I get a chance. 

2:25 p.m. on December 7, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

laura ann- i was windering if your cookbook has the weights of your recipes. i was looking at purchaseing it and useing it for the AT this spring any advise on that subject?

2:55 p.m. on December 8, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Denis... for the same reasons that I mentioned above, I don't include the weights.

I don't include the pack weight because, at least with the home-dehydrated fare, that can vary due to factors like how dry one makes the food, size of the pieces, size of portion, etc. We generally try to keep our food weight to 1 to 1 1/2 pound per person per day (Bryan's is always heavier than mine as he is a man and needs more calories to keep him going).

Also, we are of the mind that our food is light enough and it is consumable... so if we are going to cut weight we will do other things like take a lighter shelter, use lightweight technical clothing, leave luxuries at home.

I hope that helps. Even the differences from one scale to another can create inaccuracies. That said, lighter weight recipes are marked in the book with a little feather icon.

Also, if you plan to be cutting food weight drastically you'll need to pay attention to the caloric vs. weight ratio and choose foods that are higher in calories per gram. For instance, my Harvest Oatmeal Bars are very high caloricaly for their weight. With bars and other things like that the weight is dependent on the size of the cut.

3:04 p.m. on December 8, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Yes laurieanne- thank you. i have to have a high calorific diet for my venture. i have a high metabolism and need atleast 5000 a day. but looking forward to buying your book. This week. Thank you so much for your help.

6:39 p.m. on December 8, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I have a few other recipes for the second book that are super high cal so drop me an email and I can send you a couple. I'd post them here but my publisher might be a little grumped about that. 

11:23 p.m. on December 8, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Thank you laurieanne. I have to say never met a bunch of individuals that would share advise and their expertise to someone who asked. This has been such an exceptional experiance here on this forum. Just exceptional people.

12:10 a.m. on December 19, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

You are most welcome... I love this forum too. It's very friendly. Hopefully one day I'll get out on a hike or paddle with some of the folks here. I kind of think of a forum as being a guest in someone's home where there are a lot of other guests with similar interests. Or like sitting around a campfire. 

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply