About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Homemade jerky

8:18 a.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,684 reviewer rep
1,277 forum posts

So for Xmas this year I recieved a dehydrator. Thus far I have made quite a few things, all of which turned out well. Last night however I decided to make some jerky. I searched around for a recipie for my first go at it and settled on a version I slightly modified from Alton Brown of the foodnetwork.com.

Recipie that I used was:

4lbs of flank steak trimmed of as much fat as possible

3/4 worchestire sauce

2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce

teaspoon and a half or so of liquid smoke

fresh ground pepper

garlic powder

onion power

I let the meat freeze for about 3 hours after trimming fat and then sliced it(dramatically easier to slice when it is partially frozen). I then let it marinade for about 6 hours. Then threw it in my dehydrator on 160F for 8 hours.

Oh my goodness, where hath you been all my life! This stuff is incredible. If you havn't tried making jerky I highly suggest you do. You can use a dehydrator or an oven. This recipie by Alton Brown has a very interesting method for making jerky. It involves using a box fan, and you take paper air conditioner filters and lay the meat on them, then bungee cord them to the fan and turn the fan on and let it go for 12 hours. Never thought of using a fan before. You can check it out at foodnetwork.com and just search beef jerkey and find the one by Alton Brown.

I will never buy storebought jerky again.

2:03 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I agree, homemade jerky rules.

In fact just about anything homemade is better than store bought IMO, well, at least if you know how to do it right. I'm still learning myself, but I have gotten good at hot fresh bread, some soups, & some dehydrated stuff.

A nifty idea with the box fan & filters, I can see that working.

I will try the recipe you posted, it does sound good, thanks.

2:27 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

You forgot the most important step. I run mine through a Smoky Mountain Smoker first.

3:01 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

Yeah, that does look like a great way to do it> I like "Good Eats" on the Food Network with Alton Brown. He shows some great ways to cook, bake.etc. He also is one of the main leaders of the Iron Chef competitions.

Thanks for posting about it I went to the site and saved the recipe and fan food dehydrator to my favorites.

I used to know a guy in Utah who dried and sold his own beef jerky and sold it in stores in his own large Ziploc bags with a computer generated label. Was cheaper than the regular stuff selling @ $6 for 4 oz. He sold his for $10 for 2 lbs of jerky.

3:03 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

Yeah, that does look like a great way to do it> I like "Good Eats" on the Food Network with Alton Brown. He shows some great ways to cook, bake.etc. He also is one of the main leaders of the Iron Chef competitions.

Thanks for posting about it I went to the site and saved the recipe and fan food dehydrator to my favorites.

I used to know a guy in Utah who dried and sold his own beef jerky and sold it in stores in his own large Ziploc bags with a computer generated label. Was cheaper than the regular stuff selling @ $6 for 4 oz. He sold his for $10 for 2 lbs of jerky.

3:07 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

3:26 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

So what kind of dehydrator did you get?  I also received one for Christmas (Nesco FD-75PR)  but due to just being busy have not used it yet.  Anything else besides jerky that has worked good?

3:45 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
1,684 reviewer rep
1,277 forum posts

Mine was purchased from cabelas, It is an Open country gardenmaster i believe.

So far I have dehydrated and as appropiate rehydrated succesfully:

Banana chips, apples, pineapple, rice, various pastas, hamburger, mushrooms, and jerky.

Have also dehydrated a turkey and rice soup i made with xmas left overs, and made a sheperds pie minus the potatoes, will just add in instant mashed.

So far everything has turned out great. The soup the 2nd try worked better than the first, threw it in a food processor for like 2 seconds to get the pieces all a little smaller so it would dehydrate better and be easier to rehydrate.

The jerkey is hands down the best thing to come out of the dehydrator thus far.

4:17 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

Hey you tried to dehydarte buffalo meat? if you do let me know how that turns out,.. i think I should get one now sounds like a great investment.... Thanks for the heads up..

6:34 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

So with the rice, cooking then dehydrating it turns it into instant rice right? I haven't tried that yet but I love rice and eat a good bit of it on backpacking trips. I have been pre-soaking it to save fuel, same with dry beans.

That interests me because I love Jasimine & Basmatti rice, I haven't been able to find it in the instant form anywhere.

7:29 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

Yes you can precook your rice,dry it and then its like instant rice. The same goes for beans.  Plus after being cooked and dried its much lighter than uncooked. I keep mine in Ziploc bags. Keeps all moisture out which can get moldy faster than uncooked.

8:52 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
1,684 reviewer rep
1,277 forum posts

yes, the rice is basically instant rice after it's dried. I have dried buffalo meat, the sheperds pie I made uses ground bison. it turns out just fine, no different than ground beef.

9:23 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

Also if you have favorite recipes that you want to carry into the backcountry, make your favorite foods at home, dehydrate it and then it will become as good mixed with water in the field as well as at home. I used tomake my own chili con carne at home, dehydrate it and then just add to boiling water to have it in camp without having to carry it as a liquid. Soups are also easy to prepare at home and dehydrate to remake in camp.

4:18 p.m. on January 19, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I've been making jerky for 20+ years and have many different recipies, depending on the taste I want for that particular batch.  One thing I do that most people absolutlely love is to do this.  Once its about half way through the drying process,  I brush on a coating of maple syrup. My oh my, it gives it a bit of sweetness along with the saltiness which makes it like meat candy.  Litterally I've had people ask me to make them batches.  Try it, you just might like it. 

4:22 p.m. on January 28, 2011 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Neat trick with the rice!  I was using those Success boil in a bag rice, but it is kinda plain and bland.  I might have to pull out the ol' dehydrator and try some stuff!

6:41 p.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

fresh ground pepper

garlic powder

onion power

What are the measurements for above.. or are they a "by the eye" kind of thing?

6:44 p.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Once its about half way through the drying process,  I brush on a coating of maple syrup.

Wow, this sounds absolutely delicious!  I will have to break out the dehydrator this weekend, and try both techniques.

1:37 a.m. on April 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Nice,  Anyone have a make, model, type of dehydrator their fond of.  I just named of my lambs "jerky".  I wonder if he really know whats up!!!!

11:47 p.m. on May 10, 2011 (EDT)
122 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

lol

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply