Tested -20 Thermos

11:14 p.m. on September 7, 2017 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
99 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

I am looking at getting my company to replace/provide a couple of new new 1Lt thermos for this winter. I'm looking for some tested suggestions on some that can handle -20F for a few hours.

Hopfully they will be available in Canada.

paul

11:46 p.m. on September 7, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,143 reviewer rep
1,951 forum posts

i tested a yeti 1 liter bottle that might do the job.  http://www.trailspace.com/gear/yeti/rambler-bottle-36oz/#review37810 from what i saw, hydro flask is pretty similar. both are wide mouth bottles that don't have a cup on top.

11:50 p.m. on September 7, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I have no experience with those temps but my best success has been with Stanley brand thermoses. Cabela's has them in their Canadian stores. 

kp

5:19 p.m. on September 14, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,970 reviewer rep
1,620 forum posts

Any hydroflask will work as well.  Enjoy the extra weight.

This is my ghetto way to insulate my water in the winter.  It worked in my tent overnight in single digits last winter and weighs nothing:
IMG_20161217_132812252_HDR.jpg

10:48 p.m. on September 14, 2017 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
99 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

Decided to go with this after reading a few reviews 

GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Vacuum Bottle

I'll let you know when I do  

Paul

2:27 p.m. on September 15, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,275 reviewer rep
5,990 forum posts

In my household, we have collected several stainless bottles that work down into the -20°F range and lower. Our standbys are the 0.5 liter and 1.0 liter Nissans (which I have used down below -40°F in Antarctica and on Denali), along with the 1.0 and 1.2 liter Primus bottles. I am fairly sure that both the Nissans and Primus are available in Canada. I have run tests for maintaining heat on these, starting with boiling water, timing how long to get from 212°F down to 100°F. They took about 22 hours for the 0.5 liter and about 24 hours for the 1 liter versions.

We have several others that go below -20°F, although I can't tell you who actually made them, because they were "gifts" passed out at several events sponsored by organizations we belong to at their annual winter meetings. We also have several "gifts" that looked good at first glance (decorated with maps), but turned out to have only a thin stainless shell with the decoration painted on the side.

December 13, 2017
Quick Reply