FYI for Trailspace Veterans - possible influx of new users

11:28 a.m. on February 3, 2018 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Hi friends,

I've been active on the Havasu Falls Facebook group, its swarmed from 2,000 users to almost 8,500 today.  Lots and LOTS of inexperienced hikers (if any experience) asking a lot of questions.  I've pointed some to this website for reviews from *actual* users of the gear instead of visiting amazon.com where its typically a lot of non-hiker reviews, or people who review gear before even buying. I've even been plastering lnt.org all over the FB group too, as I get sick to my stomach seeing all the garbage along the trail and in the campsite.

They may also come to the forums and ask questions and what not.

I'm not a moderator or an admin here, but just wanted to cue some of you in because we may start to see a lot of very green posts/questions here and remind you that we all started somewhere once before.  

Just wanted to give you all a heads up.

Happy hiking!

8:48 p.m. on February 18, 2018 (EST)
318 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Who best to steer them in the wrong direction then seriously experienced people?

You're right though about the garbage, its disgusting and like human waste, I never figured out how someone would drive for hours, hike for a few more and then take a dump in the trail and think it is ok. Just never made sense to me.

10:13 a.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
3,167 forum posts

People have to be educated about their behavior in the oudoors.  I remember some stupid things we did as kids, but we were paying attention by the time we got to Boy Scouts. 

Before I was about 12 or so, I can remember throwing cans over the side from a boat on Chesapeake Bay.  We thought we were doing the right thing by punching a hole in the bottom so they would sink.  This was before the environmental movement got started and before anti-littering campaingns.  

April 26, 2018
Quick Reply