Trailspace on the John Muir Trail, August 2012

6:25 p.m. on September 10, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

OK, maybe I've overdone it a bit here, LOL.  But (just like the JMT) when I do something, I go all the way :).

Here are "a few" shots showing the Trailspace hat & stickers on my 30-day John Muir Trail thru-hike last month.  There would have been more (photos) but (1) it rained a lot so the stickers on the water bottles & bear can were hidden under the pack cover, and (2) I lost the Trailspace hat at one of my re-supply points at approx. 90 miles in.  Besides, I started to feel like one of those race car drivers with a company name plastered all over their car O^o.

image.jpg

Only 211 miles to go (to the end of the JMT, then another 10 after that).  This was at Happy Isles where the JMT begins (for SoBo hikers).

image.jpg

A trail sign near Tuolomne Meadows

image.jpg

The first "real" pass ... Donahue Pass

image.jpg

As the sign indicates :)

image.jpg

Stocked up on food for another 4 day segment... Bearikade Expedition loaned courtesy of speacock.

image.jpg

Self-shot (hence the from-the-ground view ... no tripod on this trip).  This was near Tully Hole, a very scenic area before Silver Pass

image.jpg

And this is on Silver Pass

image.jpg

Dinner on a cold wet day (day 2 of 10 with rain)...

image.jpg

Dinner with a view ... overlooking Evolution Lake, a particularly scenic area!

image.jpg

Muir Hut at Muir Pass!

image.jpg

Packing up for the trail after a night in Upper Vidette Meadow.  It was laundry day, too, as shown by the socks hanging out to dry.

image.jpg

Again, as the sign indicates :).  The Trailspace sticker is on the bottle at the extreme left of the shot).  The trail switchbacks down a nearly vertical face to the south on the other side of that sign, to the 11,000 ft plateau below.  I was very glad it was dry that day...  actually it was hot in the sun, but I wasn't complaining! :)

image.jpg

Summit of Mt. Whitney (someday when I'm bored I'll use Photoshop to clone out that unwanted person in the photo ... there were a lot of them on that summit and on the trail out from there...)

image.jpg

Perched on the USGS plaque at the actual summit of Mt. Whitney (previous & next photo).  Owens Valley & the town of Lone Pine in the distance before that next ridge.

image.jpg

7:32 p.m. on September 10, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Excellent, Bill! I love all the pictures from your trip.

7:53 p.m. on September 10, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Thanks Alicia.  I have lots more, and will include some when I write the trip report.

11:39 a.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Looking forward to it, Bill.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that we were in Yosemite the week after your departure. We knew the area you planned to leave your car, but not your car or exactly where it was parked.

If we had, we would have left you a "Go, Bill!" note and sticker. We thought of you though as we started up the trail.

12:16 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Cool stuff Bill, a mini tr chocked full of TS stickers. Nice...

Btw, nice lumberjack photo ya got going on in the last one. ;)

5:41 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Alicia, wow, too bad you weren't there a week earlier.  It would have been good to meet.

Rick - yeah, that's (apparently) my "been on the trail for 30 days" look.  Now I know what it looks like :).

7:46 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

Rick - yeah, that's (apparently) my "been on the trail for 30 days" look.  Now I know what it looks like :).

Bill, you should let it keep going.

I think you could pull the Billy Gibbons look off well. ;)

Tommy+Hilfiger+Backstage+Spring+09+MBFW+

(Billy Gibbons ZZ Top)

7:50 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Alicia..>THAT has got to be worth a new style TS Hat! I vot go go go for Bill Bill Bill!

8:33 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

<like> ... oh, wait a minute, wrong site :D

9:34 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Haha, @Rick, somehow I don't think that's "me" :)

11:20 a.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

So, Bill...you saying you got no skull rings?

11:26 a.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

Haha, @Rick, somehow I don't think that's "me" :)

Not yet. :)

12:18 p.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Geeesh, you people!   LOL :D

8:18 p.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

I think we're all voting for Bill for a new hat in the next round!

Bill, yes, it would have been neat if we'd been there at the same time as your departure. We were in Salt Lake for Outdoor Retailer, then hit Great Basin National Park and Yosemite National Park a bit after you.

But it was nice to see where you'd left from and imagine you out there getting it done!

8:29 p.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alicia said:

I think we're all voting for Bill for a new hat in the next round!

I vote yes. :p

6:58 p.m. on September 17, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

I vote yes for me and my dead relatives so that is a lot of yeses from me!

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply