About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Trailspace at Granite Pass, Kings Canyon National Park

10:24 p.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

This was on a 4-day/3-night trip in Kings Canyon National Park this weekend.  I didn't set any land speed records as I did only just under 40 miles, but it was a great trip ... except for the 5,000' climb out of Roads End in ~90 deg weather with the afternoon sun :-o.

Granite-Pass-2.jpg

7:58 p.m. on August 6, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
251 forum posts

Where did you go Bill?  I did a trip in seven days, could have done it in 6, about 80 miles two years ago.  Kearsarge, Forester, and about two more, looping out at Kearsarge again.  The Kern River did my camera in on that trip.

Duane

11:01 p.m. on August 7, 2013 (EDT)
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Duane, I went up the Copper Creek Trail from Roads End, over the Lip into Granite Basin - over Granite Pass, and up to State Lakes - around the loop and back to Granite Pass and Granite Lake - and back out to Roads End.

Here's a rough GPS track.  I uploaded this with the first post, then redacted it because it's kinda munged up due to some GPS issues along the way.  Also the times shown are off by an hour, there must be a DST issue in one of the devices (haven't had a chance to check it yet).   But it shows the general route...

kknp-route.jpg

8:17 p.m. on August 8, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
251 forum posts

Thank you Bill, I'll have to consult my map this weekend when I get home.

Duane

8:51 a.m. on August 12, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
963 forum posts

Man, that California blue sky is just incredible.  Thanks for sharing!

10:38 a.m. on August 12, 2013 (EDT)
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Yeah, it was blue overhead because I was at 10,000 ft.  At lower elevations it was more hazy.  I was actually fortunate that it was this good since there was a big fire going on to the north (the "Aspen" fire) and numerous smaller ones elsewhere.  The week prior, much of the Sierra had smoke from the Aspen fire - but the weather pattern changed so areas to the south cleared out.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply