About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Trailspace dodging bears in Olympic National Park

2:19 p.m. on August 21, 2013 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

mix-pictures-200.jpg

mix-pictures-072.jpg

3:11 p.m. on August 21, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,590 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

Awww! I opened the page expecting to see either a bear dragging off equipment with a TS sticker on it, or a bear dragging off a hiker with a TS hat on. This was kind of disappointing. ;)

4:07 p.m. on August 21, 2013 (EDT)
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

You expected him to take pictures while he fled from the bears?   LOL.

Cool pics!

9:04 p.m. on August 21, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Great photo of the bear peeking over the bushes! :)  How far away was it?

I wish I had had the presence of mind to take a photo last summer when I came upon a bear & her cub and she went onto her hind legs, then down to stomping & snorting, before running off.  Actually a video would have been better :).  I was too busy picking myself up off the ground after stumbling over a rock while backing away from said bear...

I got a photo of one earlier this year in Yosemite near Hetch Hetchy, but it was just in a meadow munching on grass and grubs... and tried to photograph one a few weeks ago in Kings Canyon but it was obscured by bushes and logs.

11:44 p.m. on August 21, 2013 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I think this needs a Caption Contest! .

Pic 1) (Bear Photo)

Yo Dude!  These are MY blue berries, you best be moving on!

Sorry go nothing for #2 other then its a great Lake!  :D

Wolfman

10:39 a.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks Everyone!  Being an East Coast boy used to the AT, the Pacific Northwest was a little slice of Heaven.

The bear was probably 35 feet from us when I took the above shot.  It meandered a little closer until we got uncomfortable and started talking to it.  Never felt threatened but I did get some nice shots of trees and dirt as we started our retreat.  :) 

11:03 a.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

PNW IS heaven!!!!! That is where God put it!

1:43 p.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
3,590 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

You expected him to take pictures while he fled from the bears?   LOL.

Cool pics!

Actually, I'd like to see a pic from the angle of being dragged by the bear. I envision a shot of a pant leg firmly clenched between the bear's jaws about 2' from the camera. :D

4:03 p.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,011 forum posts

Wet country like the Olympics supports a high density of bears.

4:07 p.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

I love bears. Always ahd them around growing up in the foothils of Mt. Baker at my grandparent's rustic commercial lake fishing resort. Not many kids I grew up with in Seattle had the cool bear stories I did after the summer break!

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply