Why are North Face RTG/Heli vests collectible?

5:37 p.m. on September 10, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hello,

I posted many years ago my review of the TNF RTG and Heli vests.

Every year, I receive two or three emails asking if I still have them (I sold them years ago).

Why are these collectible? Are there that many snowboarders/skiers looking for these very heavy, get in your way pieces of gear?

I would think that having a simple backpack would be sufficient for most peoples needs. Maybe toss in a Black Diamond Avalung.

Thanks,

P. B.

8:07 p.m. on September 10, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

First off you keep getting emails asking about it because when one goole searches NORTH FACE HELI VEST, the reviews are the first to pop up. They are no longer made and are a ery technical vest that has become rarer and rarer over the years. Only people that own them now are itheer collectors or older skiiers who don't the vest is still in a closet or storage bin....with that said I have 450 for a a Large one in any color, any day of the year.

6:05 p.m. on September 12, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

That did not answer the question, Face. Why are these "collectibles"? What is so great that you are offering 450 (dollars, I assume) for one, specifying only that it is a "large"? As Mendoza says, there are lots of items, by not only TNF but others as well, that are more functional, lighter, more durable, etc, for the same functions.

Then again, a friend of mine collects climbing gear made and sold by another friend (long since deceased), and is willing to pay incredibly huge prices. In this case, I can sort of see why the gear is collectible, because it played an important role in the development of modern rock climbing (a couple of climbing museums are seeking the gear for exhibits that are being developed, as well). But TNF gear generally just never played that big a role. Certain specific items, yes (like the VE24 tents or the Will Steiger Antarctic jackets, both of which were made by the hundreds, if not thousands).

11:33 a.m. on September 17, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

basically, its for a bunch of city kids who think it looks cool, like they are part of some sort of swat team with the vest on... they pay a lot of money for it and then flaunt it like.. oh look at this little vest that i paid $600 for... it used to be cool when kids were stealing these items (and only those in the know were down with it), nowadays its just pure stupidity with the amount of money involved... trust me, 90% of these people wil never use it for snowboarding or skiing purposes.. and a bunch will just keep it in a glass case or something hoping it will go up in value and re-sell it...

1:07 p.m. on September 17, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

like all things collectable.. they are extremely rare
they were revolutionary at the time of release

the jackets and vests had alot of jam packed features and high grade materials like:
gore tex, supplex, kevlar, reflective materials

no other company then or now offers wind/p water/p breatheable shells with extra zippers to attach to hydration vests

that way you can have the vest not swivle around like a bulky backpack

you can change the functions of your jackets and vests, from jacket, to combo, to just hydration vest for the summer

they just look cool as hell

11:29 p.m. on September 18, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

"they just look cool as hell"

best answer yet...

9:06 p.m. on October 22, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

ill buy it for $150

10:01 p.m. on October 23, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

let me get mine out of the closet. do you have 150 immediately ready?

7:16 p.m. on October 24, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

i got 200 on it LOL

4:02 a.m. on October 25, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I edited the last post for inappropriate language. We have all kinds of members, so please keep that in mind when posting.

1:13 p.m. on October 25, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

srsly icedweebz..srsly will...srsly face...srsly

i got 90 on a vest...gotta be mint and size large or xl

9:38 a.m. on October 28, 2007 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts
1:52 p.m. on October 28, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

That's stupid, that vest is soooo fake too. What a bunch of idiots

6:21 p.m. on November 15, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

everyone has things that they consider valuable, if anyone has been wearing north face since the begging of time would understand the value of these vests. not that i would pay 600 or even 150 for one, but understand why they go for so much.. the fact that they dont make them anymore and the only people looking for one are the ones who recently got into north face. i have a med yellow, 2nd generation heli vest i almost gave away, untill i saw how much it was going for on ebay...i do agree, its ridiculous to pay 100's for a vest that came with a jacket!

6:44 p.m. on November 16, 2007 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I just checked the link I posted earlier. I can't believe that jacket sold for $1,600. I just don't get it????

3:19 p.m. on November 20, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

just wait and see what the white ends at...

3:36 p.m. on November 20, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

no such thing as a white heli

2:02 p.m. on November 22, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Mendoza, thanks for listing your vest online and making a point in your auction telling bidders not to ask you to end early....then going and doing it. All of us who were interested really want to thank you for the fair chance to bid on that....

11:02 p.m. on November 24, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Yes, I ended the auction early. I decided to keep the vest to use on the slopes this winter.

If it doesn't work out, I may relist it.

Have a good rest of the holiday.

11:57 p.m. on November 24, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

PMendoza, I assume you got my emails. If you change your ind that money is good any day of the year. Or I would gladly swap you my yellow heli vest that is a size large. I just want the RTG vest to go with the jacket i own.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply