About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

The Best Jacket Ever

9:53 p.m. on March 16, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I bought the Lowe Alpine Legend Jacket (women's), in bright bright blue, when I was a college student in Ohio.  I bought it when I was a sophomore or junior from an online website.  Now, eight years later (it could even be more), I still have the jacket.  I have worn it almost every day for the past eight years.  Because it is excellent.  I wear it running (I am a runner). I wear it to bed (because I am always cold).  I wear it all weekend.  I wear it out to restaurants.  I wear it before trial.  I can't stop wearing it. 

I look homeless, now, though, wearing it.  I don't really care. The front zipper is broken so sometimes the zip comes undone from the bottom.  It will end up in such a configuration that it appears to be attached only at mid-chest.  The sleeves are frayed.  There are holes near the cuff attachments.  I can put my hand through the holes.  It's matted down and faded, full of pils.  It's strained in all the right places.  It looks like a dead, polyester animal.

Guess what? People keep challenging me to throw it in the garbage.  When my family sees me wearing it, they shrink back in disgust.  My sister refuses to let me wear it out with her, because, no matter what I look like otherwise, I still look like a bum in this excellent fleece.  It's an embarrassment for everyone but me.  

About three years or so, I expended honest efforts in replacing the jacket.  I bought, for example, a Mountain Hardware jacket that is similar.  Same breast pocket, almost the same color, same monkey fur-ness.  I wore it for awhile and then OLE LEGEND resurfaced and the Mountain Hardware jacket went into the back of the closet.  The Mountain Hardware did not stand the test of time in so many ways.  Bummer.  (This was purchased after my efforts at petitioning the online community to find me a new Legend jacket, which you can find evidence of on this website. Let the record reflect that the replacement attempt was futile).

About six months ago, I undertook (further) very serious efforts to locate a replacement jacket.  This included searching Craiglist in strategic fashion.  I searched Montana, Utah, Colorado ... anywhere that someone might post a lonely Legend up for sale.  I had no luck.  I called the company.  I requested that an employee of the company find the jacket for me.  Certainly there had to be JUST ONE JACKET IN THE WAREHOUSE SOMEWHERE? There was no such jacket.  There was nothing on Ebay, online, outerwear stores that specialize in Lowe Alpine.  If you see the jacket come up - if you don't believe me - it will all be a sham.  It is not for sale at the Sierra Trading Post.

After all of these years of agonizing, I recently bought a Lowe Alpine Delphia Jacket.  It's pretty sweet.  The brand is the same, the color is similar, it's furry and everyone loves it and (to some, more importantly), I do not look homeless anymore.  But guess what? The Legend Jacket? Wore it today. 

So, more than attempt to win this contest, I am issuing yet another plea to the online community to PLEASE FIND ME ONE! There has to be one somewhere!! I have never had a love affair with a piece of clothing like I have with this jacket.  I will have it forever.  If you issue a contest in ten years about a piece of outerwear that someone has had for twenty years, I'm going to win it.  This jacket is my adult security blanket.  And I love it more than anything.

12:18 a.m. on April 18, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Rest assured your not the only one attatched to inanimate objects. Ive got several items. Like my Logbook cover for work, was the first one i ever bought 25 yrs ago. Now its dirty frayed stained melted and just plain terrible looking. Ive tried replacing it with something newer and much nicer, but the thought of it sitting at home or even much worse, lying in the garbage just makes me ill. Almost 3 million miles me and that logbook cover have seen the country together. Wanna bet we see another 3 million together.

So even if you find another jacket thats exactly the same......Is it really? 

8:37 p.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I now have another leather jacket, that replaces the one my former-'yf' (wife) tossed out.

I love natural, tanned-leather ... EVERYTHING, especially Italian loafers, and such.

I HATE black leather !     Anything BLACK LEATHER makes me wanna puke.   It's like the entire 'immediate world' thinks they are BAAAAAD, because they wear BLACK LEATHER.

Anyhow ... former 'yf' tosses the 10-year old natural-tanned leather jacket, because "it was getting stained and scuffed" ... and buys me a new one (similar, but not the same) to replace it.

I asked here, "WTH did you do that for?   I was just getting it broken in !"

"I pity the fool !"  -- (TV's Mr. T)

THAT ... along with some other stuff (personality disorder being paramount) attributed to her status as a now "FORMER YF".

This replacement jacket is not the same, I gotta tell you.   Natural sweat stains and water stains imbue a patina that is very unique.

Oh, well ....

Yogi Robt

11:18 a.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

You are not alone!

I have an old acrylic vest I will not part with.

It is white-ish, and made to look like lambs wool (turned out, not in) and for some reason I can't find a suitable replacement. I think this is partially a mental thing, but I love the fabric, design, and construction of my vest.

The closest I've come to a replacement is a Patagonia Retro Vest.

The sad thing is, I wear the vest while fishing during winter and inevitably it gets fishy smelling, the fabric type surely lends itself to absorbing odors but I wear it anyway.

I wash it with some bleach and then wear it around the house because I love it.

I wish I had bought three of them.

12:14 a.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

my black and red north face mountain jacket hands down.i have arcteryx ,tad gear,and marmot jackets to name just a few but when i really need a hardcore jacket it's the one i reach for.to give you an idea how old it is it actually says "made in the u.s.a. " inside of it.

7:09 a.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

twotimes said:

my black and red north face mountain jacket hands down.i have arcteryx ,tad gear,and marmot jackets to name just a few but when i really need a hardcore jacket it's the one i reach for.to give you an idea how old it is it actually says "made in the u.s.a. " inside of it.

Welcome aboard this-here forum, twotimes ...

Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here ....

I think I have the same jacket to which you are referring.  HOWEVER; mine is the dreaded "Made in China" version.

So far, no problems.   I do like the features of the jacket, especially, the snaps along the front zipper.   I hate Velcro in this area on jackets.  BTW -- I can't figure out the snap-closures afixed to the hood,  near the front.   Have you?

Yogi Robt

4:45 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Welcome aboard this-here forum, twotimes ...

Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here ....

I think I have the same jacket to which you are referring.  HOWEVER; mine is the dreaded "Made in China" version.

So far, no problems.   I do like the features of the jacket, especially, the snaps along the front zipper.   I hate Velcro in this area on jackets.  BTW -- I can't figure out the snap-closures afixed to the hood,  near the front.   Have you?

Yogi Robt

...Robert, did I hear you say CHINA? Say it aint so. :)

6:49 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

It's true, Rick.

Just yesterday, I returned a tool I bought in Lowe's.   Made in China.   First time I used it ... guess what?   Yup.   It broke.

I could tell you stories ... based on scientific study of metals used, etc.

A LOT of impurities in the metal.   Hence; breakage is common.   Dangerous.

~r2~

11:50 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

thanks for welcoming a stranger.i hope that recently imported bridge in cali doesn't collapse..

4:59 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

twotimes said:

thanks for welcoming a stranger.i hope that recently imported bridge in cali doesn't collapse..

You think they would notice ?

~r2~

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply