At from Harpers Ferry to PA.

9:08 p.m. on September 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

The wife and I are hiking the at from west Virginia to pa. How long will this take? Any recommendations for stops/camping spots. Anything that would be helpful. Thanks

1:04 a.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jersey-ryan, I just wanted to take the opportunity to welcome you to the Trailspace community.

There is a wealth of knowledge to be found here. Trailspace has many members who are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. 

I am not very familiar with this area of trail but if you give it a lil time I am certain someone will chime in and you will find a good bit of info in regards to your inquiry. 

Happy hiking. 

1:31 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
951 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Ryan! I'm not familiar with that section of the trail, but for the sections up here in northern New England the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's maps and guidebooks are very thorough and helpful -- including distances between shelters, campsites, trail junctions, key road crossings, etc. I believe they publish guides for the entire length of the trail, usually available by state.

As far as "how long will this take", that really depends on personal factors -- how fast you (and your wife) usually hike, how much weight you're carrying, etc.

8:31 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

Hi Jersey-Ryan - welcome!

That's about 210 miles and Dave is right, weather, gear weight, health issues, regularly scheduled nap times, etc.. can all influence your rate of speed.  For simple planning purposes, you could assume 10 miles per day, which (assuming you're healthy and pack light enough) would be a conservative estimate, allowing plenty of time. For getting started, I would check out the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's website (www.atconf.org).  You're likely to get better specific advice here (what boots should I wear? Should I bring a tent or a tarp?) but it's best to do a lot of research first so you know what questions to ask!  

There are designated shelters and campsite approximately every 10 miles, but there are also hostels, hotels, and other places to sleep too.  There are no shortage of good places to camp on the AT.

Don't get overwhelmed with all the information out there.  You will learn a lot about yourself and this amazing country on the AT!

10:06 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Are you experienced hikers, beginners or somewhere in between?

Here's a map of the AT and shelters centered on Harper's Ferry. This map can export to GPS units.

http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/googleat.php?lat=39.31411&lon=-77.74097&mt=3&scale=10 

This is another map which gives the distances by hovering over the trail.

http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply