who is backpacking or hiking Veterans day weekend and going to an NNational Park?

5:58 p.m. on October 23, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Thought I would throw this up here. Who is useing november 10th weekend to their advantage? It's fee free weekend at National Parks! I am going out of town love to here whgat you have planned before I tell where Iam going. Also check with the National forest's in your area. I spent a weekend car camping at a free primitive camp site area a bout 2 weeks ago. Good times...

(moved here by moderator at Denis' request from Off Topic - Gonzan)

4:27 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

I will be, but not to take advatage of the fee relief (actually didn't know about that...thanks!).

I'm probably going to do some of the AT through Virgnia / Mt Rogers / Grayson Highlands area. Maybe off the AT in the GH park....depending on how many days I get.

off-topic from your post....

Did you finish the AT? Just curious....I'm waiting on your big monster trip report...lol...could be a long post huh?

8:36 a.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Patman knowing your awesome trip reports and The others from Tennesee. You will bew somewhere out on a trail dureing that 3 day weekend, just wanted to remind people it's a fee free weekend and the National forest has primitive sites that need to be used and alot are at no fee 8 months out of the year. Closed dureing down season for weather. I am waiting for more people to give thewir plans and I will give mine. I know you will have a great time no matter where your at on a trail.

12:06 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Patman just picked a book up at the library for my trip with relatives.Day and night hikes at Shenandoah National park.Should be interesting since I have not hiked or backpacked or camped with 2 of them, But they are excited. As for bthis trip I am going to use the program that I plan to use for my AT trip report so let me know what you think.You gentlemen from Tennesee set a high standard when it comes to trip reports.     lol

9:45 a.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,216 forum posts

I maybe hiking, but it more likely be in a state park like Sabino Canyon Park here near Tucson.

Not my video but that of a friends from mid-September this year.

11:25 a.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I will be Rock Climbing at Calico Basin in Red Rock Canyon National Conservatory.

IMG_3152.jpg

12:12 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

Sounds good Denis...looking forward to it!

5:05 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,216 forum posts

Interestingly here around Tucson are two small national parks both named Saguaro, one is east the other west. The eastern one has very few Saguaro's. Its because when the park was established as a monument first (whenever) the giant cactus's were everywhere. Then a huge drought came thru the SW in the 70-90s and most of them died. Now Saguaro East Nat Park is full mainly of most other kinds of cacti, but not its namesake.

Giant-Saguaro-Cacti-with-many-arms.jpg

A giant Saguaro with many arms. It is said that a Saguaro grows for 20 years before it grows its first arms. I wonder how old this one is above. Thats a Prickley Pear cacti in the foreground..

8:14 a.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

That is interesting Gary. Glad everyone is going to hit the outdoors and make use of the weekend. I hope evryone has a great trip.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply