About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Everest Base Camp

4:01 p.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

I am now 5 months out from a epic trip for me. I am going to Everest Base Camp with Mountain Madness in March of 12.  I have accumulated much of my gear and been getting fitter and fitter for the trip. This is my turning 50 and getting off the couch and back into the kind of life I always loved when I was younger. unfortunately, I didn't think of it soon enough so actually will be 51 by the time I go. I just felt that given my level of unfitness when I decided to do it, I needed two eyars, not one to properly prepare. As a result, I started getting ready for this in April of 2009. At the 5 month mark now, I am amping up my hills, my carries and my CrossFit. I will know NONE of the other 14 trekkers and am so excited to undrtake this adventure.

5:06 p.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

congrats gift! I dream of going to that area of the world someday as well, but for now have put that on the back burner for a more realistic goal...Denali. It's cheaper transportation, cheaper fees, and cheaper all around really. My goal is to climb it by the time I'm 30. It's no less formidable than the Himalaya can be, but monetarily makes so much more sense for me...

I'm sure with the amount of work you have put into this, the anticipation, excitement, and energy is BUILDING right now. To see such a culmination of efforts come together on your trip will be VERY rewarding!

Take lots of pictures!

6:20 p.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Gift,

You are only as old as you act and think. From what you have just said I would say you have "un-aged" a few years.

7:35 p.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

If anyone wants to follow this great trip and my final stages of prep, I am blogging at WhelanTrek. I am also going to be blogging ON the trip and will post a report here upon it's end as well.

Thanks for your enthusiasm and kind words!

3:04 a.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

Go for it Gifto! Having been there and back myself (more than 30 years ago now) I can say you are in for a treat. I still dream about going back to Nepal with my wife and maybe daughters. I really wonder how much things have changed in Namche, Tengboche, Pheriche... I'll try to follow along and get your impressions.

3:34 a.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Should you be hosted in the house of a local anywhere along the way, and they prepare a desert of fried honey bees, heed this advice and eat only a few.  Bee sting toxin can be absorbed when ingested.  A friend shared this account, requiring one in their party to be medivac due to anaphylaxis from eating too many bees.

Ed

9:08 a.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

OH MY! Though I am not outright allergic, I do have a strong reaction......any way out of it without being rude?

9:10 a.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

BigRed said:

Go for it Gifto! ...... I'll try to follow along and get your impressions.

I would bet there is much difference now.....just in how many North Face jackets are worn over traditional garb if nothing else! Please do join in. This will be a difficult undertaking for me but oh so satisfying! I relish the thought of days on end with not a car in sight!

9:37 a.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

giftogab said:

OH MY! Though I am not outright allergic, I do have a strong reaction......any way out of it without being rude?

It shouldn't affect systemically any worse than a normal sting.  If that is still too much, hopefully they have known of others with bee allergies too.

Ed

2:08 a.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

A friend of mine is at base camp there right now

1:16 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Wow!!!! Are they blogging? I would love to read if they are!

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply