Final Plans for Everest Base Camp Trek

9:10 a.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

As some of you know, I am going to Everest Base Camp. I leave on March 24th. I am blogging about it and I am going to try to post daily from the field. I have a couple places you can follow that and would like to invite you all to "come along" with me. If you are on Facebook, this will get you there. If not, then you can go direct to the blog here. What cheaper way to travel to Nepal?

Whelantrek.jpg

10:55 a.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,597 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

That is so cool. 

I am stoked for you.  This will be one of those things you will probably compare everything else to for the rest of your life.

Not many people can begin a story with, "This one time, at Everest Base Camp."

10:57 a.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

Whats the elevation at EBC? What elevation do you live at?

11:56 a.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
551 forum posts

Take many photos!

12:43 p.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

I just hitup your FB page be able to follow your expedition. My 2 good friends went lsat year to base camp and texted us when they were there.The mountain is wired.From what I've read.

2:12 p.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

Denis daly said: The mountain is wired.From what I've read.

I saw something on the net that one can get Wifi at the summit?

2:51 p.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey, if I hide in your pack and bring a Yak costume can I go?

4:25 p.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

I will be living vicariously through you!

4:31 p.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Wired? yes it is.... 3G from what I read.

Elevation? Base camp is 17.5, Kala PAtar, which we will summit is 18.5. If you can see the logo for my trek all teh elevations are listed....guess it looks small though.

Rick: yes, yak suit will get you there!

Denis...will respond to FB thingy when I get home....(its blocked at work...but TrailSpace isn't HE HE.)

11:11 p.m. on December 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

I find it interesting (amusing?)  (disturbing?) that Everest has 3G coverage, yet I lose coverage if I drive less than 10 miles out of San Francisco (or even some places within city limits).

Anyway, enjoy your epic trip! :)

11:14 p.m. on December 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Thanks Heiser....I could call you from there....but....you probably drop my signal...HA HA

11:17 p.m. on December 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

LOL, you're probably right :)

11:36 p.m. on December 13, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

giftogab said:

Rick: yes, yak suit will get you there!

I have my horns on.... Wait a sec, I always have my horns on. Nevermind. 

3:05 p.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Jake: You can live vicariously.....or you can put it on your bucket list! OR BOTH! You are a young guy with lots of the world awaiting your arrival!

6:22 p.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Pictures lots and lot's of pictures and narration to go along wth the pictures. Like a guided tour.LOL

10:11 p.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

You got it Denis!

8:36 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

OK... zero minus five weeks to launch! I am trying to figure ut what to wear for the long flight. I leave San Francisco and take the big flight to Hong Kong where I land at 6:30 in the AM and meet my cousin who will do a rapid fire tour of Hong Kong and get me back to the plane before the 5PM departure. So, I loaded the weather channel for Hong Kong on my phone and trying to figure out if polartec pants, t-shirt and light jacket will be fine for the day in Hong Kong....then back to a sleep on the plane to the final leg to Katmandu. Any suggestions?

9:13 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

You should show up in a pair of Zubaz pants, a whomeworry edition Hawaiian shirt, a pair of Garfield slippers, and a sombrero. 

9:22 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

HA! And the Mountain Madness Guide that comes to pick me up will just keep walking...though the Hawaiian shirt sounds like a pretty good choice, actually....what are Zubas?

9:24 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Here is a link for a photo of Zubaz pants...
http://www.theunticket.com/mike-rhyner-zubaz-pants/

9:34 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I need eye bleach now.

9:48 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

You know ya love the mullet. :)

10:08 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

hahaha oh the early 90's! I actually still have a pair like that for tailgaiting at the Bills games. Solid fashion statement!

10:40 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Well, come on guys, I refuse to cause an international incident by sporting that fashion package...besides, then I would have to change my name to PAT. So.....serious responses now?????

10:53 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Personally if it were me I would wear some type of fleece pants/top. That should be comfy for the flight. 

How long is the flight?

10:57 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

So, Karen, I missed the story of what you're actually going to do over there.  Is this a summit attempt or something else?  We're living this adventure vicariously through you so we need to know these things! :)

11:31 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

It is the Base Camp Trek. So hiking from Lukla (roughly 9k feet) to Everest Base Camp (round 17.5K feet) then up to the summit of Kala Patar (roughly 18k feet) and then back to Lukla. I am getting a spot connect to keep in touch when I cannot blog so it will log my progress on facebook as well as send out emails/texts of my progress.

RICK: I think the longest leg is around 13 hours. Then there is a hope up from hing kong to Bengal and then to Katmandu

11:46 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

Sounds great!  Even 18,000 feet is way up there.  We'll be watching for the updates on FB :)

11:51 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

YAY!

12:21 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,068 forum posts

Hi giftogab - if you could get an EBC shot with a Trailspace hat or sticker, that would be pretty cool!  Also - I wonder if a compression sock on your long flight might help keep your muscles happy for your trek?

12:42 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Seth: I will get a pic at base camp with TS hat...and on Kala pAtar with Everest in the background. AND the socks. Gonna DO THAT for sure.

2:43 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

One piece of safety advice from frequent airplane travelers - wear cotton or wool, no synthetics, during your plane flights. Reasoning is that if the plane has an incident, the natural fibers do not melt, burn, and stick to your skin like synthetics will. Unfortunately, the blankets the airlines give you to sleep on long flights are synthetic.

Hong Kong, eh? I understand that the classic approach to the airport has been changed. I flew it a number of times in a simulator - scarey! You aim for a big billboard with a checkerboard pattern, then do a hard right and a steep descent, often with crosswinds to the runway.

Lukla is considered one of the top 2 or 3 toughest approaches. I flew that one in a simulator a number of times, too. One-way, and steep uphill runway. Luckily, I already had real-life experience with mountain airports before trying the simulator Lukla approach, so I only had a few serious bounces/hard landings before getting to where I could nail it every time. Departure is really fun! You are heading downhill, then usually drop a bit as you leave the end of the runway. Again, one-way, opposite direction from landing.

There is a great program that gets replayed from time to time on one of the History group of channels of the 20 toughest airports in the world. I have actually flown into a couple of them. 

3:07 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

OGBO, I doubt this is what she wants to hear right now, LOL :)

8:11 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

Flying is still one of the safest ways to travel. Better to fly to Hong Kong than by ship through pirate-infested seas. And better to fly into Lukla than hike for a month through terrorist infested jungles.

12:16 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

HA....I have flown a lot and not worried about that as much as a yak doing a hip bump and launching me over the edge!

7:25 p.m. on February 24, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Like a speeding train, the trip looms. Mileage for the trip is:

0m, 0m, 4.5m, 4.5m 0m, 5 m, 5m, 0m, 5m, 4m, 2.0m, 2.0m, 7.5m, 10m, 9m. I think you can tell by looking when I am going up and whn I am going down. Total of 58.5. The zero days are rest days and there is hiking those days as well, just not progress toward the goal.

I think I have all the gear and will work Sunday to inventory everything. Next week is shots!

9:31 p.m. on February 24, 2012 (EST)
3,597 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

OGBO, I doubt this is what she wants to hear right now, LOL :)

Reminds me of the Bill Engvall routine where the guy on the plane asks how far he thinks the plane can fly on only one engine.  Bill replies, "All the way to the scene of the crash."

7:26 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

OK Kids....20 days to departure. On the home stretch and getting anxious and excited all at once. Inventoried gear, got all my shots and have my extra passport pics for the visa once we get there. Also found out that though there were slots for 16 trekers, there will only be nine of us. Flight costs backed out the rest because earlier I know they were booked full. I did tell Mark Ryeman (the Mountain Madness guy I have been dealing with) That I am slow and he told me not to worry. I will make it! So, BRING IT ON!

8:01 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

Everyone here will be cheering you on! Just keep away from those yaks. I figure with the high visibility ninja suit, you will scare off the yeti. Plus we will be able to spot you easily on the satellite photos.

8:17 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

Wow Karen, I became excited just reading the itinerary!

If I were you I'd be absolutely popping with excitement just 20 days out. You are sure to have an incredible experience!

9:25 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

HA HA! Yes...Crouching Ninja Jumping Yeti!

I am excited but a bit anxious as well. I have been planning for two years and really never thought it would get here.  I will be happy to add anyone to my email pings of my SPOT who is interested enough to want them. BillS, you know you are already on there. Rick too.

9:31 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

tick, tick, tick, tick ... the anticipation builds!  :D

10:09 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I can only imagine the butterflies doing loop d loops you must have.  Thanx for taking us on this journey with you. I cant wait to see the TR for this.

Go gifto!......Go gifto!

10:11 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

Yeah!  it's almost as if we're going too - but without the shots, the yaks, and the high-visibility ninja suit...

11:16 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

HEy bheiser: Did you send me avid on facebook? I was afraid to open it in case it as a hak.

11:23 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

Giftogab, no, I didn't send anything to you on FB .  What exactly did you receive?

I think there may have been some FB hacking going on today... I got a couple odd message from FB today myself.  Good choice to not open it without checking first!

11:00 a.m. on March 3, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Giftogab How are the toes??  I hope you have a blast!  I think this is one of those life time adventures, something you will remember for the rest of you life.  :D

I was looking at weather yesterday, and Everest was a nice sunny -9F, don't know if that was Base camp or the peak, but hey it was sunny!  :D

Have a great trip and be safe, watch them Yaks! 

Wolfman

4:37 p.m. on March 3, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Wolf: Toes are fine. 5 nails still black but holding, big toe nail is gone on right foot.  Bruising done. I have Katmandu on my weather map! This will be a lifetime adventure! So glad you guys are around because being here has helped me prepare for this in huge ways! I will keep my eye on yaks with swivel hips so they don't knock me off the edge!

12:18 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

So when do you leave for Asia?

1:23 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I leave Vegas 24 March. I go to San Fran for two days of family business. Leave San Fran Late the 26th. Arrive hong Kong 28th amand spend the day on a quick tour with my cousin. Then off to Nepal!

3:16 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

You have a cousin in Hong Kong? Hope it all goes well.

thumbnail.jpg

3:58 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Yes. He was victem to the US economy here in Vegas when Obama told nobody to come here and the next day the convenctions cancelled in droves. After nearly 1k applications he had to go to China to get work. His wif is from China, but she remained here with the kids for education and medical reasons. Still has one in High School. Been two years apart!

10:19 a.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

I just watched a Nat Geo DVD called The Wildest Dream Conquest of Everest. Its by Conrad Anker and starts out where he in 2007 found George Mallory's body on Everest and then goes on to try to explore whether Mallory did actually make the summit after having to climb the so called Second Step. He even tried wearing the same type of clothes and boots Marrory and Irvingwore, but said it was too cold and could not really understand how they managed in such wear. They succended in climbing freehand the Second Step with out the ladder that climbers put in the past to help get past the obstacle.  It was a very good video!

thumbnail-jpg1.jpg

11:00 a.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Yah. I have seen that several time. WONDERFUL vintage footage and teh new stuff aint so shabby either. Why do you call it the "so called" second step? It IS the second step.

1:32 p.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

When I was in Antarctica in Dec 2010, 3 members of the Mallory family were also there to climb Mt. Vinson. Here is a photo I took of them at the Union Glacier Base Camp as we were getting ready to fly back to Punta Arenas (Chile) after we all summited (separate parties). From left to right, Ukyo Katayama (my tentmate, retired Formula 1 driver), and Dan, Adam, and Laura Mallory. And yes, they are related to George Leigh-Mallory. They are Canadian. 4 members of the family have summited Everest (a macabre joke they told me - "we are the ones who came back from Everest"). Dan, I believe, has done all the "7 Summits". All have done several of the 7.
DSC_0123.jpg

2:49 p.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

It would be fun to see a trip report presentation from you BillS. So many cool stories of great adventures!

5:45 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

As I make final preparations for departure in 13 days, of the 6 toe nails that turned black, 3 fell off. I have my gear and am now organizing and weighing things so that I wont have to go broke getting it on the plane. Also spending more time with dogs and dad because I will miss them terribly while adventuring. Ordered pix of cools stuff from my life to share with the locals. Am doing workouts in my garage and all in all, anxious and excited all at once!

6:37 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I ahve filled my list of 50 emails that the Spot Connect will send out when I check in. But if youa re interestd in following, you an still see it as I go and also read any blog entries I am able to get up on the net at www.whelantrek.com. Time is drawing close and I admit to some anxiety and trepidation. But in 10 days I will be on a plane.

10:45 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

i guess you need a passport?

9:33 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Pretty sure she took care of that a while ago...

8:06 a.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi..,Everest Base Camp Trek is an incredible experience introducing you to an amazing view of the highest mountain in the Himalayas. Where being able to stand on the top of the world has for centuries been one of man's most daring challenges. The Everest Base Camp Trek is located amidst some of the most spectacular scenery to be found on the continent and it is not for the faint-hearted.

[url=www.responsibleadventures.com/]Kailash trekking[/url]
[url=www.responsibleadventures.com/]Ladakh trekking[/url]

9:22 a.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

matthrhon said:

Hi..,Everest Base Camp Trek is an incredible experience introducing you to an amazing view of the highest mountain in the Himalayas. Where being able to stand on the top of the world has for centuries been one of man's most daring challenges. The Everest Base Camp Trek is located amidst some of the most spectacular scenery to be found on the continent and it is not for the faint-hearted.

[url=www.responsibleadventures.com/]Kailash trekking[/url]
[url=www.responsibleadventures.com/]Ladakh trekking[/url]

Thanks, mattrhon. I just got back last Sunday. I had spent 2 years prepping, so hardly a video or book exists that I didn't read. It was the hardest most wonderful thing I have ever done!

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply