Shawnee Forest

1:58 a.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hi,

Looking for any info or suggestions anyone has on backpacking in the Shawnee. Two of us are headed there in a couple weeks for a 3 day / 2 night trip, hoping to do 10-12 miles per day or so.

Thanks!

Kyle

3:52 p.m. on May 7, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Make sure you take a hat light colered clothing and alot i mean ALOT off bug repellant with DEET. Im not sure where you are from but the Mosquitos and Ticks are absolutely horrible there right now!

9:11 p.m. on May 7, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I'll definitely bring the deet and I'm going to try spraying my clothes with permethrin. Never used that stuff before, but I hear it works well.

9:45 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I have no experience in the Shawnee, SlayTime. Wish I could help.

Oh, and Welcome to Trailspace! 

11:54 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks.  Heading down tonight!

7:38 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

dwoods,

FYI - That permethrin spray is great. I only saw two ticks on me the whole time I was out there. One was on my pant leg that was treated with that stuff and the tick fell off dead before I could even grab it. My buddy probably pulled about a dozen off when he was wearing shorts with deet sprayed on.

9:31 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

How was your trip? 

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply