Planning leave here in June to cycle to Utah

4:41 p.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

I have been in Arizona for 3+ years and planning to go north from Flagstaff to hike in the Wapatki Nat. Monument, Little Colorado River, Paria and Buckskin Canyons, then go to Page/Lake Powell and Big Water, Utah to cycle up the Smoky Mountain road to Escalante town and hike the canyon country of the Escalante for a while. Then up to canyonlands, Moab, Arches and elsewhere Terra Incognito!

After riding 300 miles this spring and 500 last fall I want to continue living on my bicycle cause I like how young it keeps me and the feeling of being in shape at 56 years old!

I had planned on working from May to September then leaving labor Day weekend. But after almost 2 weeks in Flagstaff and camping for a place to live while working, I think I am wanting to live on the road and do lots of hiking/camping in different place. Besides I like posting Trip Reports here for you hard working debt paying folks to read and dream about doing when the weekends come.

12:59 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,266 forum posts

Sounds good Clay!

And hey now, don't assume that everyone with a year-round job has debt. It ain't so...   :)

8:28 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

HAHAHAH...I have a house payment ....oh and student loan....but that is ALL........Good on ya Gary!

2:32 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

I have now lived out of my tent for amost a month. I am living in it this summer to save rent like I used to back in Jackson Hole WY. I cycle about 5 miles to the local national forest every evening to camp (in a different place each noght) No local free campgrounds and I don't like leaving my tent set up in the sun all day and for someone to come along and possibly take.

10:31 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

"Besides I like posting Trip Reports here for you hard working debt paying folks to read and dream about doing when the weekends come."

One of my mantra's is "Just say no to debt".  Works pretty good to, been debt free since 93.

3:01 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

My only debt was paying child support from 1996 to 2009. My daughter is now going on 19 next fall.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply