Everest base camp trekking - Nov 2012

6:48 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

hi friends

my husband and I have a tentative plan to do EBC trek from 15th Nov 5th Dec. group includes another couple too. we have no experience in backpacking , but have done some day hikes. can somebody advise me on the following ,

1. please advise the weather and climate conditions around the trek, in the night , snow conditions during November
  2. we are following the main trek - Lukla , Namche .... Gorak shep, any recomondations for accomodations , names of places also prefered
  3. toilet facilities , can we find any western type of toilets with flushing along the trek or all of them are squarting pit toilets
  4. how to find a travel agent to book a flight to Lukla and how we book the return flight from Lukla if we can not predict the exact date of return
  5. I would love to get in to the base of Khumbu ice fall , I mean to be able to touch it :) , can we get that closer or is it allowed only for summit trekkers
  6. what is the best way to find a good guide, any recommondations are really appriciated

Sorry for the millions of questions , but appriciate your response

cheers

Anoma

7:41 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
671 forum posts

Gifto just did EBC in the spring season and so will have fresher advice than I can offer on most of these points. But I went 'round Annapurna in November and then into EBC in December-January some years ago. So on Q1: I would be prepared for night temps down near -20C at the highest spots, maybe by just wearing a down jacket or extra layers on those nights if you are tenting. If you are staying in inns I suppose they are much improved since I was there but the old ones were pretty drafty and not a whole lot warmer than outside. Days should still warm up to above freezing even at high elev. Shouldn't be much snow to worry about.

By flying into Lukla you go right to high elevation and will need plenty of time to acclimate. You also miss the foothills villages (and warmth) at lower elevation which have their own appeal, so you might consider walking out if you have extra time.

9:06 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

You can go look at the ice fall and touch it. It is an great experience. May have more bad weather than I did as the fall has more snow and cooler temps. Was 3 degrees F when I was there April 8.  After Namche, only squat toilets or primitive western toilets with bucket flushing. I went with a company called Mountain Madness. There are Tea houses all along the way. Just stay in one. But it is busy and full. I really would go with e reputable trekking company. Especially if you are not an experienced trekker that has put one of these together before. There are logistics that can make or break your trip. You need to get a trekking permit in Kathmandu. Flights are first come first served. Most all of the logistics were handled by the trekking co. From in country visa to Lukla flight to accommodations etc. One more advantage to going with a good company is they prepare all your food. Far less chance of getting sick and ending your trek. You need diamox in case of altitude issues as well. Tea houses are very cold.....nearly like being in a tent. So get a zero degree bad and be prepared to wear your coat on higher sleeps. Also, get boiled water at night and throw the bottle in the bag to add heat. Will be ready for drinking the next day. I am more than happy to add more. look here for my blog on the trek.

1:06 a.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

hi

thanks for all the advises for both gifto and big red. yes i'll check for the both options.

regarding the tea houses and lodges you accomodated, any names that you can re call. I would like to accept any recommondations

regarding the time frame , yes I heard that trekking to Lukla and also the trip to Gokyo will also be a good experience, but this time its a limited time we have. But I would love to do this again taking some more time

thanks and best regards

Anoma

3:02 p.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Gift O

Have you written a Trip Report ?

12:24 a.m. on May 23, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

Callahan: I am working on it and editing my pics...The forest fire smoke washed out some of them and I want to fix those. Then my God Mom passed away and I was in Cali for the funeral just after my Wa DC trip for work. I am home for the duration now so will get er done!

9:57 p.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi, I was in Tibet exactly 2 years ago at this time. I had an amazing experience and had a fantastic guide who I am still in touch with and would highly recommend. I flew into Lhasa, visted two small towns, camped and hiked part of the way to EBC and took the train from Lhasa back to China on the 9th day. I can provide you with additional information if you are interested, so let me know.

10:46 a.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

Dark Traveler said:

Hi, I was in Tibet exactly 2 years ago at this time. I had an amazing experience and had a fantastic guide who I am still in touch with and would highly recommend. I flew into Lhasa, visted two small towns, camped and hiked part of the way to EBC and took the train from Lhasa back to China on the 9th day. I can provide you with additional information if you are interested, so let me know.

But you didn't do the Nepal trek, right? I was under the impression that they were looking to do teh trek from Lukla on the south as opposed to the car ride to base camp on the north.

9:11 a.m. on June 5, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

hi

few questions to ask ,
1. what will be the average cost of charging batteries in lodges , do they charge hourly rates and how many batteries per turn
2. do the batteries discharge soon bcs of cold weather , we are planning to go in end of November
3. do we hv any phone service on this trek
4. can we ask for drinking water ( boiled water ) from lodges for our bottles when we leave there , do they charge anything for that water
5. is it good to buy water purification tablets from KTM or from home country
6.can we find any rooms where 4 people can sleep together , or double bed or queen size beds in one room
7. are there any water taps we can take water on our way or do we hv to buy them from lodges all the time
8. what is the best way of booking lookla flight - get a guide first in KTM and get his help to find an agent to book the flight or go to an agent directly and ask them to book it for us , if going through an agent , what we need to negotiate

please help me to get above clarified

thanks

A

3:35 p.m. on June 5, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

1 Some lodges are by the hour and can be from 100 rupee to 500 rupee an hour. Others are simply a charge and you leave it there overnight. Some don't charge anything.

2 My batteries on my iPhone and MacBook pro were no different than at home. teh phone slept with me as did the mac book. My Canon Camera batery NEVER ran out and lasted another month after I got home!

3 There are many areas where you will get cell signal. Spotty but amazingly there is at least enough to get a call out almost any day. No land line phones though.

4 I am sure that if you get boiled water from a lodge, they will charge you. I got all my boiled water from my trekking kithcen that traveled with us.

5 I would get my tablets for purification at home.

6 Trekking lodges pretty muthc uniformly have 2 twin beds in each room. No queens or kings, though we had one loidge where one of teh beds was twin and one was double. AND if it is the hight of trekking season you may be hit and miss about availablity given you likely have not reserved them and they get full the higher you go and the fewer there are.

7. I never saw any water taps tht you would be able to access free. Check out Lonely planet guide book...that might tell you on that.

8. I cannot comment on booking the flights....and I don't think there is any negotiating there....because I hired my guide/trekking company who did all of that behind teh scenes.

9:20 p.m. on June 5, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

thanks a lot Gifto , given info is very useful

10:34 a.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

Two of my trekking mates were from Australia, by the way.

8:52 a.m. on June 18, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

By the way, if you (or anyone else) does the Everest Base Camp Trek, get some stickers from Seth. I didn't know that a big deal at all the tea houses is to sport stickers from around the world. So each night when you get to the tea house you are staying in, ask the owner (who WILL be there) if you can put up a Trailspace sticker. If you do this at each stop, there could be stickers all along the Everest BC trail!!!!!

7:15 a.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

hi Gifto

this is a cool idea, we were thinking making our own sticker for this, How can we get it from Seth, does he has a personal email to contact or any other way , thanks

A

1:48 p.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

There is a sticker email. Search Seth up in the TS search and then go to his profile. Private message him to let him know you would like some stickers. You might want to buy a TS hat! Mine was great on the lower part of the trek because it breaths so well. Also, please let me know if you are going and if you are blogging....I would love to follow the trek

2:33 p.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

trekkersdownunder said:

hi Gifto

How can we get it from Seth, does he has a personal email to contact or any other way , thanks

A

Get your free stickers here:

Stickers
free Trailspace stickers on request(just send your mailing address along in the email.)

stickers@trailspace.com 

Also don't forget; post your TS sticker and TS cap photos in the Sticker Adventures forum for the chance to win some really cool prizes...

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/stickers/

11:13 p.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

trekkersdownunder said:

hi Gifto

this is a cool idea, we were thinking making our own sticker for this, How can we get it from Seth, does he has a personal email to contact or any other way , thanks

A

Whelantrek.jpg
 I had t-shirts made for my trek:

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply