Help finding 3-4 day hiking destination (midwest and eastern us)

8:21 p.m. on July 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi mean and a couple of my friends are looking for a 3 to 4 day hike in backcountry like terrain. We want to be able to camp wherever we want as well. So no campgrounds. Trying to find somewhere with awesome scenery and to have a good time hiking. Also we are from central ohio and the most we would drive is 6 hours. Thanks.

8:42 a.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace!  It might be worth looking into the "North Country trail".  It goes through New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota.  I can't speak to every section of the trail, but do know that where the trail runs through National Forest areas you would be able to set up camp without a camp ground.

9:24 p.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace.

It's a little further than you wanted but the AT is absolutely awesome around Roan Mountain.  Start at the visitor's center just south of Carver's Gap and head North.  I did Carver's Gap to 19E last summer. Patman, Gonzan and Ashleigh did this stretch this spring. 

Depending on how fast you hike you can extend you hike North of 19E which has some nice waterfalls.     Mountain Harbour B&B is an excellent place to park and they will shuttle you to Carver's gap or visitor's center.

7:29 p.m. on August 10, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

The sections of the Appalachian trail in Virginia are amazing, you should check out some trip reports from hikes over there, I believe the parks there are just about less than 6hrs from where you are too.  There are also hikes not part of the Appalachian trail that are worth considering too.

1:33 p.m. on August 12, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

Look at some guide books, maps and ask around.  If it is in Sunset Magazine of the newspaper chalk it up as a place to avoid.  I would put most parks and monuments in the East in the same category.  There are plenty of out of the way places if you look.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply