Three Peaks and Chilkoot Pass

1:49 p.m. on August 31, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I'm trying to decide between two trips next year. These will be just for me (instead of a paid group) but I would hope to be bringing a friend or two along.

One is the Chilkoot Pass, the old route to the Klondike. I've done some research, and it looks like it would be an easy 4-5 day hike, but harder to complete in 3.

image.gif

The problem is getting there! A bus from Edmonton to Whitehorse in the Yukon takes 29 hours, then there's a train ride over the pass to Skagway and a shuttle bus to the TH at Dyea. Driving would be three days and would probably cost a lot more just for gas.

Has anybody done it? Suggestions on access, or information on the trail itself, would be quite helpful.

It's curious that I can be at the foot of Ben Nevis in less time (and for a lot less money!) than to get to the Chilkoot. There are daily flights from Edmonton to Glasgow (via London), and a train ride up to Fort Hamilton is fast and cheap.

I was thinking of doing the Three Peaks; Scafell Pike in England, Mt. Snowdon in Wales, and Ben Nevis in Scotland. The Three Peaks Challenge...

http://www.thethreepeakschallenge.co.uk/

...involves doing them all in just 24 hours, but I'm not that ambitious.

The plan is to fly to London and rent a car, drive to each mountain in turn and bag the peak, then fly back to Edmonton from Glasgow. With rain delays it could take a week, but I think it would be a nice adventure. If anyone who's done it has some information or suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Then I'll just have to decide which one I want to do!

2:03 p.m. on August 31, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,207 forum posts

The Chilkoot Trail was my most memorable backpacking experience.  It combines AK and BC with history, people from around the world, wildlife, and a physical challege.  It is wet and potentially cold even in August.  Bring a pack cover be prepared for steady downpours.  Bring a rope for stream crossings during heavy rains.  The climb up the Golden Stairs from Sheep Camp is through a giant boulder field.  Without snow it is very hard on the knees becasue of the large vertical steps involved.  I think of that trip often.

Consider taking a ferry from Prince Rupert to Skagway.

My experience in Europe has been tame by comparison even in Switzerland, Germany and other places with big mountains.  The wildness has been systematicallly beat out of Europe for at least 2,000 years.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply