About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

NC,TN,SC,GA,VA Looking for a new loop to hike

12:53 p.m. on January 9, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
560 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Hello Everybody,

I am planning a late spring/early summer hike in the mountains.  Since I usually hike solo, I generally prefer a loop.  I did a 5 day thru hike last year on the Foothills trail, and a thru hike back in 2004 on the Art Loeb. 

Length 30 - 60 miles, 3-5 days.

I have hiked the 60 mile Bartram Trail/AT loop, I have also hiked the 25 mile Fires Creek Rim loop, did a shorter loop in Panther Town one year, and I hiked a loop in Ellicott Rock Wilderness. 

I am considering the Duncan Ridge/AT/Benton Mackaye loop, but have not committed to it. 

Question is:  What other good loops are there that I can consider?  I am pretty much open at this point. 

Thanks for any suggestions

7:29 p.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

To simplify things, I consider an out-and-back to be a loop. Because things never look quite the same on the way back as they did on the way out. This opens up a lot of possibilities. Sections of the AT you haven't done yet, portions of the North Carolina Mountain-to-Sea Trail, etc. My Scouts really enjoyed a trail in the Uwharrie National Forest which would make a great out-and-back.

4:36 p.m. on January 14, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
560 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Thanks Brerarnold,

I have hiked Uwharrie extensively for years.  I love it.  I am fortunate enough to live within an hour of the southern trailhead and less than that from Birkhead.  Those areas make great overnights. 

You do have a point that I should consider an out and back.  For some reason I have always done either a loop or when I have logistics straight, I do a longer thru hike.  Last year was a great trip on the Foothills Trail.  Saw several Scouts near Thompson River. 

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply