southwest minnesota

12:38 a.m. on January 17, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

hello everybody!

im new to this site and i was just wondering if anyone knew of any good 4-5 day bp'ing trips in my area. I recently went up to the bwca on my first trip and got hooked! 'I will try to get more pictures up as soon as i get a chance. Thank you for your input!

5:35 p.m. on March 4, 2013 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Hey David, I am wondering the same thing. I'm in SE MN and its tuff to find any longish backpacking trips down here. If you hear of something, let me know too!

11:59 a.m. on March 9, 2013 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

This is more of a west central Minnesota trail but the laurentian lakes chapter section of the north country trail fits the bill perfectly if you do an out and back http://northcountrytrail.org/trail/states/minnesota/explore-by-section/laurentian-lakes-chapter/

There are a few other sections of this trail also nearby if you want to do 2 sections instead of a out and back hike.

12:01 p.m. on March 9, 2013 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

NCT.png

Here is a more detailed map of the trail.

11:43 p.m. on April 2, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

If you are in SW MN you are going to have a hard time finding backpacking routes without a long drive. There is some day hiking in Blue Mounds, Pipestone, Camden etc. but for backpacking you are kind of in the middle of The Superior Hiking Trail and The Black Hills/Badlands. Which are both awesome areas! However, they'd probably both be a 6 hour drive for you.

You might be able to pull off an off trail option in the national grass lands in SoDak. Prairie Chickens will probably be mating soon- that could be fun to seek out.

Good luck!

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply