Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness

9:36 p.m. on February 5, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

I was thinking of doing some hiking the first week of May in this area.  Through some beginning research I am finding that the trails are recommended for late June - September, or even late July through Sept.  I have never been to this area before, so don't really know what to think about this.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Also, most loved hikes in the area would be nice to hear about too.  Thanks so much, Donna

11:10 a.m. on February 6, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

DLV,

Too early.  Better to hike somewhere lower that early.  Make some phone calls to check on snow levels in June.

11:10 a.m. on February 6, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

DLV,

Too early.  Better to hike somewhere lower that early.  Make some phone calls to check on snow levels in June.

11:45 a.m. on February 6, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

I contacted a friend of mine that hikes in NW Wyoming every spring, summer and fall and she should get back to you next week about the area you plan to go. She has been hiking in NW Wyoming for over 30 years and lives in the town of Jackson. She's at a outdoor course in Arizona now but will be back next week.

1:53 a.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Ppine is right. You might find stretches melted out, and then you could get into some serious drift territory. You might be ok in early June this year, if the area doesn't get a March snow dump.

9:48 p.m. on February 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Thank you all for the input. I guess May is not going to be an option. Glad I looked into this way ahead of time. I am sure I can get a week off in the summer, so now I am looking at the Sawtooth Mt. Area. as I mentioned in my first post, I have never been to Idaho, so any and all suggestions will be taken with much appreciation. one or two night hike would be nice. not too terribly concerned about elevation gain as long as it's relatively easy footing. I am pretty nervous about falling off a cliff... i am not interested in "mountain climbing." I prefer actual trails. So please help me with suggestions!!! thanks so much!!! I don't expect to have the whole state to myself, but suggestions on maybe paths less populated would be great.

10:37 a.m. on February 9, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

DLv,

Central Idaho is one of the steepest parts of North America due to the presence of the enormous Idaho Batholith a geological formation of intrusive igneous rocks.  There is a lot of relief with lots of dropoffs.  If you don't like heights it would be better to go somewhere else.  You don't mention where you are from.

9:10 a.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

I live in Ohio.  I have never hiked in mountains like these.  It looks amazing.  I don't mind heights all that much if I feel safe enough.  If there is any chance that I'd go  flying off the side of a  mountain, I would not enjoy the hike one bit.  This is good.  I am so glad that I'm checking this out ahead of time.  This is also very disappointing!  Any suggestions on any hikes in Idaho that would give me a similar bang for the buck without fearing for my life?

3:20 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

The Panhandle (northern part) is not so steep, but intensely beautiful with lots of large lakes and wildlife.  I am in love with the place, but only in summer.

Idaho is full of great river trips.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply