About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Half Dome Permit Lottery Decision Day!

3:53 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,971 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Today the Half Dome lottery results were announced! I will be hoofing it up Half Dome on my 30th birthday! Thanks Recreation.Gov! Best birthday present ever!! :) Did anybody else get their permits today?

4:47 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,116 forum posts

congrats Ashleigh... that's very exciting!

I did not apply for them but a fellow Trailspace member secured some Sierra permits for an up coming trip that I'm super excited about. Those were received back in early March. This will be only my second backpacking trip out west (first was Grand Canyon two summer ago), and I can't wait to see those big mountains in person!

1:33 a.m. on April 11, 2013 (EDT)
220 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I got a no for my birthday.  No half dome.

10:04 a.m. on April 11, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,012 forum posts

I went up Half Dome in 1974.  There were five people up there then.

I would consider going somewhere else if there is a lottery and a drawing to get a chance to go.  There are literally thousands of great places to go in the western US that are not managed by the National Park Service.

4:36 p.m. on April 11, 2013 (EDT)
1,971 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

@ Patman,

Thanks!

Congrats on your permits as well! When and where are you going in the Sierras? They sure are beautiful!

@Junglecommando,

:( I am sorry! Try again in the daily lottery. The only reason I was successful is because I had three in my group and I entered all three of us with 7 entries apiece. My friend was acutally the sucessful one, but since I am considered in the group, I am awarded one as well.

@ppine,

I am also going to other places other than NPs on my trip, but I really wanted to hike to the top of Half Dome at least once. It is worth all the trouble to me!

12:06 a.m. on April 12, 2013 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

I got a big goose egg for my 7 choices...but my friend who I am hiking with for her 60th birthday got July 12!!! So jazzed.

8:37 a.m. on April 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,116 forum posts

Ashleigh,

I'm going end of July to Sequoia National Park, Mineral King area for an eight day trip with lambertiana! I have already purchsed my plane tickets and arranged the time off from work.

7:15 p.m. on April 14, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

mineral king...beware of marmots! they like to eat the rubber brake lines and hoses off your car in the parking lot!

9:04 a.m. on April 16, 2013 (EDT)
1,971 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

@ Tollermom,

Congrats! Sorry you didn't get your first choice, but I am glad you got one.

@Patman,

I hope you and lambertiana have a blast! I wish I could make it all the way down to the Mineral King area, but I don't think I will have enough time. Take lots of pictures!

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply