El Cap via Yosemite Falls Trail

11:47 a.m. on May 14, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,761 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

I am planning to hike to the top of El Cap via the Yosemite Falls trail this June. Has anyone ever done this before? I am having trouble finding a lot of info online about it. Does anyone know the actual distance? I have seen different distances online. 

I have a permit for Yosemite Falls. I was hoping to head as close to El Cap as possible the first day (depending where we are timewise) and then summit El Cap the following morning and then return to the trailhead at Camp 4. Are there campsites in between the falls and El Cap? I know of course it can be done in a day, but I won't be able to get started until at least noon due to travel constraints. 

Thanks,

Ashleigh

3:06 p.m. on May 14, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

I would post this question on the highsierratopix forum.  There may also be a Yosemite-specific forum out there somewhere.

Have you called the wilderness office in Yosemite?  The rangers there should have good beta.

11:23 a.m. on May 15, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,761 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

Thanks! I need to call them anyway. I saw that a section of the JMT below Clark Point is closed because of a rockslide. I saw where The Mist Trail is still open, but I am not sure where the closure starts and ends, as my topo does not include Clark Point.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply