HELP!!!! Reading about hikes in Idaho. OVERWHELMING!!! I want to do them all!!!!

10:27 p.m. on May 16, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Please help me narrow it down. Thanks so much!!!

2:41 p.m. on May 17, 2013 (EDT)
31 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

been there, what is your question?

11:16 p.m. on May 17, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

My question...Can you suggest a hike for me? I have never been to Idaho. I am looking for a hike that gives a lot of bang for the buck. I like "views." Such as getting up there and looking out over the top of things. I also love water, so lakes and rivers are nice. I like solitude, but that is low on my priority list. Other people can be OK. I am not afraid of elevation gains. Extremes might be a problem. I do not like it if I am on a trail and right off to the side is the CLIFF and I a about ready to fall off. I will be renting a car, not an all terrain vehicle, so access to the trail seems important. I have been reading Hiking Idaho by Ralph Maughn and Jackie Maughn. There are over 100 trails from which to choose and it seems like they are all PERFECT. But then I find out online that there were extensive fires in 2012 in some areas and don't really know if I should be concerned about this? I live in Ohio and we don't haven forest fires...so I don't have any reference point...It sort of gets overwhelming trying to find the right hike, because it's not like I will be coming back to Idaho numerous times. I am looking for dramatic. Stellar. But maybe a bit comfortable. I keep thinking that I need to do something in the Sawtooths...am I right? Thanks, Donna

11:35 a.m. on May 19, 2013 (EDT)
45 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Where exactly in Idaho are you heading?  Boise?  Coeur d'Alene?  Sawtooth NRA?  How long a hike(s) are you looking at?  Half-day, multi-day?  It's a big state.

BTW, if you are heading to the Sawtooths that would not be a bad choice.  Look up Redfish Lake.  There's some neat hiking you could do around there.  Although at his point in the season getting reservations for a place to stay could be difficult.

Northern Idaho has some really great things too.  Farragut State Park has some nice, shorter day hikes, plus it's only 30 minutes from Lake Couer d'Alene and the resort there.  Lots of places to stay.

9:47 p.m. on May 19, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

I don't really have a definite area slotted yet. As I said it gets quite overwhelming reading about all the amazing places that state has to offer! I am leaning towards the Sawtooth area, but could be swayed elsewhere...looking for a hike that would be about 4 days long (three nights). That seems about long enough for me. Anything beyond that and I start really missing things like showers and toilets. I know that many people can do a million miles in 4 days, but we tend to take our time and enjoy the process, not be in a hurry to reach an endpoint, so 6 or 7 miles a day seems comfortable. I will check out your suggestions! Thanks so much! ----Donna

2:23 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
31 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Most hikes are stellar in all the major mountain ranges of Idaho, if you're looking for isolation you can find it, if you're looking for granite scenery there is none better in the U.S.  I would look at one of three areas for isolation, Boulders, Pioneers or White Clouds.  For easier access somewhere in the Sawtooths, if you don't mind driving 50 miles of isolated dirt road try the Big Horn Crags or the Gospel Hump Wilderness. All the wildernesses have wonderful high lake scenery.

10:12 a.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,281 forum posts

Enthusiasm is a great thing up until the point where you are paralyzed with what to do with it.  Take a deep breath.  For you, going to Idaho is much more important than where you go.  Realize that compared to the East, all of the trails you are reading about will be big and scary, including the roads to get there.  When the guide book says-" the access road is difficult and suggested for 4wd and people with experience."  Believe it.  Choose something with relatively good access and enjoy yourself.

11:01 p.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Thanks everyone!  I think we have narrowed it down.  Upon a recommendation of a ranger in the area, we will probably hike from Yellow Belly Lake, check out Farley Lake, continue on to Edith and Edna and make a little loop around Virginian and Ardeth and head back.  Maybe take a side trip up to Imogene Lake.  Considering the loop that goes around Toxaway Lake.  Thoughts on this would be super appreciated.  Thanks again.  ---Donna    P.S.  I am super excited. I can't wait.

8:43 a.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

Consider the Selway River Trail. It takes you into the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness, and the trail follows the river most of the way. Beautiful country, remote and wild.

December 17, 2014
Quick Reply