Cumberland Island in summer

10:23 a.m. on July 23, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Going down to Cumberland Island this week for 3 days and nights. I have heard it's a wonderful place...I'm wondering where the best place to camp is and, is any special things I should look for or expect? I'm looking forward to combing backpacking and the beach!

1:04 p.m. on July 24, 2013 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

I have been to this island close to 70 times now. I can say I'm pretty familiar with the place :)

It IS a fabulous place, but I gotta warn you - it's not that much fun in the summer months.  It is hot, you'll most likely get daily afternoon thunderstorms that can be deluges  and the ticks, no-seeums and mosquito's are at their worst.

So...What do you want in a camp site?

You want a fire ring, bathrooms, and neighbors next to you or do you not care about a campfire and would like solitude?

campsites are as follows:

seacamp - 1/4 mile from the dock (fire ring, bathrooms, and neighbors next to you)

Stafford - 3 mile hike (fire ring, bathrooms, and neighbors next to you)

Hickory Hill - (my favorite) about 5 miles

Yankee Paradise - about 6.5

Brickhill Bluff - 10.5 miles.

Hickory and Yankee Paradise share the same sulphur water well.

If you want, PM me with your email address and we can go into more detail off line. I can also send you the trail map that the Rangers hand out at orientation.

ed

Clermont, Fl

2:26 p.m. on July 24, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

thanks so much, I have heard that campfire's arn't allowed.....I have a wood burning campstove the biolite. Do you think they would mind me using that at one of the back country sites?

2:51 p.m. on July 24, 2013 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

They don't want any  fires of any type in the backcountry.

lets just say....they never ask you what kind of equipment your using, so why bring it up during orientation.

I used to use a Sierra Zip wood burning stove. Always kinda worried me about the smoke, but it didn't draw attention.

If its real wet, fuel can be an issue, but the place is covered with pine cones and they work pretty well - especially the cores that the squirrels leave behind.

I would highly recommend bringing a lightweight pair of water shoes or sandals. It has been raining a fair amount in the South East and you never know when your gonna be wading.

I've been there when the trails were covered with 3 feet of water.

Most of the east-west trails go through swamps.

Pretty exciting at night :)

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply