Upstate SC

3:07 p.m. on July 29, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Looking for something new. Please recommend any family friendly car camping destinations within 3 hours or beginner friendly backpacking trails within 100 miles or so.

6:02 p.m. on July 29, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

If you  want a beginner friendly hiking or backpacking area take a look at the Ellicott Rock Wilderness with  9,000 acres along the Chattooga river / water shed in Pickens County. It has a nice trail system with trails along the river as well as shady trails running into coves or up the mountains away from the river.

There are spur trails to waterfalls a half days hike south of the area, as well as an easy 2 1/2 hr. trail from the river to the Walhalla Fish Hatchery where thousands of trout can be viewed up close.

There is a free tent campground at nearby Burrell's Ford  as well as several more private campgrounds in the vicinity, some with cabins. 

The Foothills Trail  also runs through this area, it is around 80 miles long running along the SC / NC border but has a few easy access, easy hike areas like a couple around Toxaway River or Jocassee Lake. The link I provided has a lot of great info about it.

Also check out the Mountain Bridge wilderness area, Ceasar's Head State Park, Winding stairs trail (easy 3.5 miles one way with a great waterfall).

Oconee State Park has a campground with cabins (at least it did when I was there) and it has a couple cool spur trails that aren't too hard.

8:14 p.m. on July 29, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,746 reviewer rep
346 forum posts

Jones Gap State Park is one of my favorite places. It is great for family car camping and there are lots of great trails in the park. It is beautiful!

11:49 p.m. on July 30, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

thanks for your feedback!

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply