Joyce Kilmer Hangover Loop

11:03 a.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

I have had the best luck in life. I am on a streak of going backpacking every weekend over the past 8 weeks except for July 4th!! This weekend my wife and I will be taking our first trip to the Hangover Via the Naked Ground Trail. Hopefully we get to do two nights doing it, but it might just be a overnight trip. We will be parking at Jenkins Meadow trail head because I have heard that there is no overnight parking at the memorial forest parking lot. Then making our way up (#55) Naked Ground Trail, then taking a right at Naked Ground gap onto  the Haoe Lead Trail [#53], making a stop at the Hangover via (#56A), then down (#53) to (#53A) back to the car. 

Below is our route, I believe it is about 9 1/2 miles...? Can someone confirm or deny that lol. 
2013-08-01-10-48-00.png

I was wondering where the best place to camp Saturday Night is? Naked Ground gap? Bob Bald? Or is there a good campsite at the Hangover? I have seen a lot of options just wanted some opinions. Also I have heard there is a spring at Naked Ground Gap? If anyone has any info to about where that is located that would be awesome. Ill preemptively thank everyone for the help =) and I'll see ya on the trail! Thanks 

2:52 p.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
187 forum posts

you are correct at the parking spot......

they dont want you to park overnight in the picnic area so there's a small pull off with a bulletin board, just after you turn into the picnic area.....like literally right at the intersection...

it's kinda a little tough to find the trailhead to jenkins here---as it's on the hill opposite the litte pull off..........but you'll be coming down this so you dont need to worry about it now....

it's only like 0.1 mile of a walk from this pull off to the start of naked ground trail.......the trail is fairly obvious and wide as it also leads to the joyce kilmer loops......

naked ground is a good uphill climb.......its nice and steady til about the last mile or so, when it really gets steep........the switchbacks will help you gain the most elevation....

as for camping----there are some nice spots at naked ground-----one is sorta the large, more crowded one, but there are a few private ones just around....

for water at naked ground---there's a spring about 5 minutes down slickrock creek trail.....go down the trail, dont turn on the first left trail that you'll see but wait til the second left........

you'll pass a small-ish spring that seemingly is more like a hog waller than a good water source but it you continue a few more yards, you'll come to a nice flowing spring.....

word of warning---if you go down slickrock trail more than 10 minutes---you've passed this spring......it's an easy walk from the naked ground campsites...

but, preferably, it you have the energy----camp at hangover....

once you pass the deep creek turnoff, just about another minute will take you to a clearing.......in this clearing are a few spots, along with a fire ring, and a nice rock to sit on......

IMO---this area is the best spot....

however, if there are people camped here----go up the trail (towards the actual hangover) and there are a few spots on the left and right as you go up...

the view from the hangover is one NOT TO BE MISSED.......

as for water up here........if you taking the trail up towards the hangover, you'll pass the rock and the firering on the right.....just maybe 20 or 30 feet after this rock, on the left there is a stump of a tree that someone has cut down.....

turn left at this stump, and follow a faint path and it will take you down to a spring.......you may have to go a little lower for a better flow, but one can get water here pretty easily.......

oh----firewood is very limited up in this area, if yer looking to have a campfire......it can be collected, but it's not like other spots where the wood is a dime a dozen.....

personally, if i was doing that route, i wouldnt go out to bob bald..........that will sorta take you outta yer way.......save that one for another day...

coming down haoe lead, that will be a breeze...........fill up on water before you head down, as the next spring is down on jenkins meadow..

the turnoff for jenkins meadow has a sign there, so it shouldnt be to tough to find...

and its all downhill to the car......

it will be a nice hike......

3:07 p.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Thanks Kevin! I'm printing your comments as we speak. They will be very useful!! 

FYI I recently downloaded the Ramblr App and you are all over it when it comes to Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock and Citico Creek. I also have read a couple of your trail reports on another site.....cant remember what it was. Great info. I hope I run into you on the trail sometime. 

3:11 p.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
187 forum posts

yeah.......my work just gave me an iphone a couple of months ago, and i found that ramblr app, and kinda dig it for hikes...

it eats up the battery though so some hikes arent complete....

and i,m too lazy to add naratives to it...

but, heck, they sent me a 25 buck gift certificate to use to backcountry.com so it cant be that bad.....

you may run into me along naked ground this weekend...

however, im not known for my early starts...

i have one more set of trails to do in the joyce kilmer/slickrock/citico area before ive completed them all and that the actual joyce kilmer loop and naked ground alternative trail.....i plan on camping on the alternative trail...

you may have seen my stuff on the backpacker forum.....i tend to post there as as well...

although,, i really dont do a complete write up......i dont have internet at the house so i do everything from work when i have some free time....

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply