Smoky Mountain Lakeshore Trail Help

7:24 p.m. on August 31, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am planning a 3-day, 2-night backpacking trip on the Lakeshore Trail. We are planning to hike east to west and I was hoping for information on the different campsites available. We are trying to decide between campsites 98, 76 & 77 on the first night and between 86, 88 and 90 on the second night. If anyone has had any experience with this trail and/or campsites, any information would be helpful and very much appreciated.

11:28 p.m. on September 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

I've stayed at them all...

86 and 90 are two very popular spots.....

If you want company and a large campsite---then those two are good..

But of those 3---I really liked 88...

When I was there 2 years ago---it had only been open a little while so it had that "virgin" feel.....the campsite was not beat down like other sites (such as the other two).......88 is a small site but much more of a wilderness feel...

It's only been open a couple of years as it replaced old 88 along pinnacle creek trail (I've stayed at this one as well)....

It's also a site that boaters can't just dock up at shore and come in..

Of the other 3 sites---77 really can't be accessed by the water easily (although it can be done)...

98 and 76 have what I call upper and lower sites...boaters use the lower sites near the lake and backpackers use the upper ones....

Hmmmmm......I think I'd go with 76 or 77 for that night......76 up near the trail is kinda a nice small site.....77 is a bit bigger and a little more open....

Also lakeshore trail has a ton of history along it so if yer into that kind of thing--allow extra time.....cemeteries side trails are all over the place and not only show the history of the area but will eat up time and miles if you wanna visit them...

Hope that helps....

10:34 a.m. on September 2, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Could this thread be a good example of micro-managing a camping trip?

6:33 p.m. on September 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the info Kevin. Very much appreciated.

11:39 p.m. on September 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

Yer mighty welcome...

Enjoy the trip.....

I've had some interesting times along that stretch of lakeshore....

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply