About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Need Advice for Around Damascus

11:32 a.m. on September 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

A friend and I will be hiking for four days ending in Damascus - beginning around Troutdale and ending at Damascus. We will be flying in and out of Charlotte. Some questions I'd like some advice on. This is the first time for both of us on the AT.

1. Any recommended shuttle services or suggestions for getting from Charlotte airport to Troutdale? I imagine it is a mixture of bus and shuttle.

2. Would you recommend staying in Troutdale first night and then hiking to trailhead, or spending the first night on the trail - perhaps around Old Orchard Shelter?

3. Any side trails, or sites, you would recommend between Troutdale area and Damascus? Planning to stay at Old Orchard, Thomas Knob and Saunders - not planning on making it a race -will be taking our time to see things along the way.

4. Any recommendation for a hotel/motel etc in Damascus?

5. Recommendation for how best to get from Damascus to Charlotte airport.

6. Any miscellaneous advice you would have would be greatly appreciated.

9:41 p.m. on September 2, 2013 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Scott the Appalachian Trail Conservacy has a Shuttlers list of you search for it online.It's in PDF form and you can look at which state you need a shuttle ..The average cost is 2-3 dollars per mile for a shuttle.. They have to pay extra insurance to fo shuttles thats why the cost is high. I'am not sure how close Grayhound drops to Troutdale..

AS I remember from my thru theres not that many things in Troutdale.I stayed at the Baptist Churchs Hostel with other hikers.Here's the number.(276)677-4092. You can ask the Paster for the close's Hotel or Motel to the Trail.The cost of the Hostel is a Donation.. Hitting the trail will depend on what time you arrive unless you like to night hike.

Demascus..I stayed at Daves place which is another hiker Hostel in Demascus..You go to the MT Rogers outfiiters and tell them you want to stay at Dave's place..It's across the street..IT's just a typical hostel style room.Wood raised platform for a Bedroll. It comes with a shower when you stay..

A.   Agusta's Appalachian Inn (276) 475-3565 They have internet and it comes with a full breakfast..They don't take charge cards..

B. Montgomery Homestead inn (276) 475-3053

C. Lazy Fox B+B (276) 475-5838

D. Dancing Bear Inn (276) 475-5900 Cash or Check.

There all on the main street In Damascus..I went to the Quiceys for Pizza and it was good.Not to Expensive, then that night to Dot's for some Beer with other hikers..It's a small town so you can walk. Just ask for directions from the town people..As for the Shuttle situation I think MT Rogers outfitters shuttle.I also think Adventure Demascus does also.Ask for Lonewolf from them..He's a former thru hiker that shuttles..

As for the water situation on the trail is good here in Virgina we had a very wet summer.So you shouldn't have any comcern about that..AS for Blue blazes you have a couple of good overlooks to get some great shots..If you carry a 25 to 30 pound pack the trail should be pretty good.Those are rolling hills.The temp is spuradic right now highs in the Ninty's..Have a great trip!!

12:25 a.m. on September 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
144 forum posts

I would think the easiest and cheapest way to get from airport to trailhead would be a rental car......

11:11 a.m. on September 3, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,012 forum posts

My advice for being around Damascus is to leave as soon as possible.

3:48 p.m. on September 4, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

I thought you meant Syria.   I though, "That dude is hard-core!"

5:43 p.m. on September 4, 2013 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

SAGE: your funny. I would be sure to have a kevlar pack!

8:40 a.m. on September 5, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

Have a great time in Damascus!

1. I highly recommend Agusta's Appalachian Inn. Say hi to Terry for me.

2. The Iron Mountain Trail is a wonderful side trail. It's the old AT. The Virginia Creeper trail is a lovely descent in Damascus too.

3. Hit Cowboy's (the gas station) for the best chicken biscuits in VA!

10:17 a.m. on September 16, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

Hi Scott -

Have a safe trip and be sure to share some pictures upon your safe return!

11:01 p.m. on September 17, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,669 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

mmm chicken biscuits! I remember those fondly

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply