About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Snowbird Wilderness in North Carolina?

3:44 p.m. on November 4, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
144 forum posts

howdy...

was wonderin if anyone has some knowledge of Snowbird Wilderness in North Carolina?

lookiing for some answers to a few questions i have...

thanks...

kevin

4:14 p.m. on November 4, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

I did a long trip back in there during the month of January 2012.  See---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-in-Snowbirds

I hear recently the SAWS boys came out and cleared the top Snowbird Creek trailhead from Big Junction on the Skyway all the way down to Mitchell Lick and maybe beyond.  It's on my schedule for an upcoming trip where I hope to do extensive trailwork and put out ribbon.  The last time I did the Upper Snowbird Creek trail (at Big Jct) the trail was in terrible shape and I had to turn around.

On my last linked trip I started on top of Huckleberry Knob and the next day breezed over Hooper Bald and took the old Hooper Bald trail down to the Mitchel Lick trail and connected it to the upper Snowbird Creek trail and took it down to "Junction" and the footbridge on the Kings Meadow trail (which is a hellslog) all the way back up to Hoopers Bald.

Then I did a short roadwalk to Big Jct and spent a night on Haw Mt and took a faint trail off it to Whiggs Meadow and then hooked into the Citico on the BMT.

4:22 p.m. on November 4, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
144 forum posts

yeah.....

i found yer report by googling last night...

someone has cleared trail recently...

snowbird creek trail to burntrock ridge trail is clear....

burntrock ridge trail, except for the first 0.3 or so from snowbird creek trail, is cleared going over to sassafras creek trail.....

sassafras creek trail was cut from falls to snowbird creek trail...

that's one of my questions-----sassafras creek trail, according to map, goes past the falls, and pass burntrock ridge trail, and connects with another trail...

however, it seemed like there was no trail after the intersection with burntrock ridge trail....

but, between that trail and sassafras falls, there's a trail that is freshly cut, with ribbon that crosses the creek...

is that the continuation of sassafras creek trail?

4:46 p.m. on November 4, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

I have yet to do the Sassafras Creek trail or Trail 415 which is called Snowbird Mt Trail or something---never tried.  I hear some of the periphery Snowbird trails are still in terrible shape.  Just take ribbon and trail tools and clear them yourself.

5:04 p.m. on November 4, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
144 forum posts

sassafras creek to 415 is what im wonderin about...

if i clear it---i just wanna make sure im clearing the right trail.....

7:33 p.m. on November 4, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

I usually hike an old trail several times and figure out its route before attempting to work it.  I look for old tree blazes and old cut blowdowns, etc.  I may place ribbon on a sketchy trail but I won't start cutting until I'm dang sure I'm doing the right trail, otherwise it could all be wasted effort.

9:02 p.m. on November 4, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
144 forum posts

Do you have any contact information for the SAWS group?

3:14 p.m. on November 5, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts
5:21 p.m. on November 5, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
144 forum posts

ahhh...

its bill hodge....

somewhere i have his email...

thanks...

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply