Free website for maps in atlas and topo views and satellite imagery

9:28 p.m. on December 5, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

Go to www.mytopo.com for free maps,topo's and satellite images of anywhere in the world. Use the zoom bar on the left, plus street view with the orange man above it and the 360 degree compass view above him or change from road and terrain map,topo map or satellite view on the upper right.

You can also go to this link for the main page full earth atlas map:

http://www.mytopo.com/maps/?lat=37.1585&lon=-113.0410&z=15 

11:02 a.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

The MyTopo maps are nice but are only medium resolution.

For high resolution topos with variable hill shading check out Gmap4.  The difference in quality is even more apparent if you zoom in one more tick on each map.  Full disclosure: I am the developer of this browser app.

I would post a link but apparently I am not allowed to.

If you would like to check out the hi-res topos just do a google search on Gmap4.  The first hit is the homepage.

Just under the homepage title is a link that will start Gmap4 and display the default map of the world.

To see the hi-res topos centered on the same spot as the MyTopo map Gary linked:

Menu ==> Search, and enter 37.1585,-113.0410

Click Search

Change the basemap to 't4 Topo High'.

The Menu button also gives access to the variable hill shading control and also trip planning, UTM grid, geolocation and more.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Redmond, WA

5:57 p.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

I went to your site Joseph. Is the small 4 x 4 inch square map as big as I can get? At mytopo the image I see is much larger at about 8 1/2 x 7 inches giving more area to view.

Oh, I see I was at what opened  when I put Gmap4 in. I loaded startmap and got the larger image.

6:06 p.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

You can also look at the "Example" page where then are various full screen map links.

6:23 p.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

When you say LIVE what does that mean? 

6:26 p.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Please give me the context for "live"

6:33 p.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

On your website that opened when I went to Gmap4 it stated quote:

The map below is 'live'

6:39 p.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I'm using "live" there as a synonym for "interactive" so viewers realize that small map in the corner of the screen is not just a static jpg but instead is a fully functional map that they can pan/zoom,etc all in that small window.

6:44 p.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

Being it has the same zoom bar to the left, I had that idea it would pan when I first saw it. Most map sites I have used have them, Mapcarta,Mapcard,Mytopo,Google Earth, etc

I have been using online maps for about 15 years as I bicycle and backpack 276 days a year when I am on vacation. I print out the area of the maps for the areas I am traveling or use the street views to see the roads I am traveling on bicycle tours.

So I guess I have one more online map site to use. Each has things the others don't or better options.

Thanks for a great looking site!

7:08 p.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

Another question, In the line: If you know of topographic maps for any country other than the USA or Canada and which can be displayed via REST or WMS, please send me an email. I would like to add a link to those maps on my GIS page.

What is REST and WMS? 

7:39 p.m. on December 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

REST and WMS are 2 different interfaces that are supported by many GIS servers.  REST was developed by the ESRI company and WMS is an open source alternative.

On the menu bar of the Gmap4 homepage there is a choice for "GIS Viewer".  That page has a table of contents and Part 4 has a number of example maps where Gmap4 is displaying data that is hosted on various GIS servers.

To the best of my knowledge, Gmap4 is the only software that is based on the Google map API and lets you display data from GIS servers simply by adding parameters to the link you click to open the map.

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply