Superior Hiking Trail

3:51 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,862 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

My big trips for 2014 are already set, but I'm looking at the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota for April 2015.

Can anyone tell me an ideal place to start/stop for a 5-7 day trip?

How does Highway 61 play into the trail? I don't want to be hiking along the shoulder of a road most of the trip. Shug's videos seem pretty remote, but the maps I've looked at online appear to be next to the road.

8:39 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
172 forum posts

Goose, go over to www.hammockforums.net and search for the Superior Hiking Trail. There will be a lot of threads on it plus videos.

Also the SHT trail website has some good trips even loops

http://www.shta.org/

9:36 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
5,862 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

Thanks, Ewker. I started with SHT's sight. I'll probably end up getting their guide book and reading up on it.

10:19 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
172 forum posts

I have read threads and seen enough videos that of the SHT that I want to get up there to hike it one day. Just got to figure out when

1:22 a.m. on February 1, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

in April i would start at the castle danger trail head. Unless they get the bridge just south of that fixed.

Highway 61 runs parallel to most of the trail. for the most part you wont even notice it, because it's usually hidden by 10+ miles of thick forest. 

9:54 a.m. on February 1, 2014 (EST)
5,862 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

Thanks for the input, Over clock. Very helpful.

Ewker...Easter Week 2015 is what I'll be aiming for if we chose that trail.

5:16 p.m. on February 1, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

18768_100461506652604_6995276_n.jpg

searched through my pictures and found one with the highway. it's that grey spot by the lake

to expand on my previous post, i would start at castle danger due to the northern parts of the trail likely will still have some snow that during the day tends to get soft enough to be a pain to walk through.

9:24 p.m. on February 1, 2014 (EST)
5,862 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

Beautiful picture.

I'm wondering who much wilderness you encounter on the southern part of the trail. Looking at Google Maps it seemed the wooded areas started at Crosby Manito State Park. Is that right?

Also, does MN have a black fly or No See Um season (or really bad mosquito season)? If so, is that April or later?

7:34 a.m. on February 2, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

For the most part the trail runs through thick forest. The Duluth section on the other hand is more urban.  If i remember correctly that picture is from 5 or so miles south of gooseberry falls and that's  typical for most of the southern trail(north of Two harbors). 

I think the reason it looks more wooded is due to the pines showing up darker than the ash and birch on the satellite map. I'm sure the topography has an impact to.

Most of the insects don't come out till  May early June. most of the black fly's and mosquito's get  bad in mid June and peak in July. even then they tend to only be an issue in low wet areas. No See Um's are around just not as common as mosquito's.  the ticks on the other hand start earlier (should be fairly safe in April). 

a few pictures of the Gooseberry river from April 2010.

29410.jpg

29411.jpg

29412.jpg

i think the the thing that makes it not feel like the wilderness is the camp sites. I've seen worse in campgrounds you have to pay for.  sorry didn't get a picture of the fiberglass toilet. 

18767.jpg

12:33 p.m. on February 13, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,079 forum posts

The Superior Hiking Trail is a wonderful trail to hike.  I've done sections, but nothing longer than a few days.  My avatar photo is on the SHT.  Highway 61 runs parallel, but you only see the road from overlooks and do not hear the highway traffic.   As overclokc mentioned, it is not a remote trail, hike long enough and you will cross roads and pass by towns and run into day hikers.

The trail is very well marked and maintained.  

At a minimum I would stay north of Two Harbors for a trip, I think the trail will seem more remote if you are farther north. The split rock and gooseberry falls areas are great.  The area around Tofte is great.  I don't think I've hiked further north than the Tofte area.  I'd like to hike the area around Grand Marais and Grand Portage someday.

Bugs - no shortage of them.  Depending upon how late spring emerges, you should be safe into mid May and post Labor Day.  You can easily get snowed on in early May.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply