No-Fee National Parks

10:27 a.m. on April 16, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
987 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

In case you haven't heard, in honor of National Park Week (April 19-27), all national parks will be waiving the entrance fees this upcoming weekend, April 19 and 20 (Saturday and Sunday). Enjoy your nearest NP.

http://www.parkadvocate.org/5-ways-to-celebrate-national-park-week/

3:26 p.m. on April 16, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,210 forum posts

Thanks Kiwi. Good to know.

Since the Nat Parks are underfunded now, I would be in favor of increasing the entrance fees so that the people using them are helping more with the maintenance.

8:22 p.m. on April 16, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Entrance fees have never amounted to much at all in terms of Park Budgets [I think it's less than 5% nationally] but they sure can discourage lower income Americans from going to their parks. Muir and Roosevelt are rolling in their graves for while we build weapons to face an enemy vangusihed a quarter century ago and spend trillions off the books on elective occupations there is without question NO "benefit of all" as long as one child let alone millions are priced off of public lands. We need more people to get out and develop an appreciation for public lands treasures, not fewer. I think it would be horrible to raise fees even more when the amount of money collected nationawide would equal the cost of a couple of fighter planes we do not need.

11:32 p.m. on April 16, 2014 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
479 forum posts

If you wait until you get old enuf, all National Parks are free.  Well, ok, for $10 ante to get the card.  Or better yet, get a few friends together and, when you can, visit the park from a wilderness area on a trail/river -- no charge.

Krumholz:  Just don't vote for incumbents and ride all lobbyist out of town on a rail.

String up any representative who is on the take and ask all those other nasty guys/gals in other country's " if we can't just get along".

11:23 a.m. on April 17, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,210 forum posts

Krumholz K,

The difference between $5 and $20 in entrance fees is dwarfed by the cost of people to take time off from work, transportation costs, and all the other costs associated with a vacation. The way to get park fees to show up as a larger share of park budgets is to charge more for the people that use them.

12:58 p.m. on April 17, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,212 forum posts

ppine said: the difference between $5 and $20 in entrance fees is dwarfed by the cost of people to take time off from work, transportation costs, and all the other costs associated with a vacation.

Glad I have never had that problem most "working hard all their lives to support a family, buy a house, make car payments,buy gas and other expense's" people face.

I work a few months a year in places where wages are high like here in Jackson where I get paid $10-16 an hour to do the same jobs that most anywhere else I would get the standard minimum wage of $7.35. Then when I take vacation from Labor Day to Memorial Day, I buy a national park pass which gets e into as many parks as I travel through on my cheap bicycle tours, which cost me about $150 more than a backpacking trip alone for food to burn pedaling my way from state to state, park to park. The parks that do charge for permits then add another $5 a night.

I used to be against the permit fee's in parks like the Grand Canyon where its $10 a permit and $5 a night to stay in the unmaintained backcountry. But I do so no more because it limits the amount of others I see in the backcountry. Although when I go backpacking in the GC I go to places no one else goes to down side canyons, along big horn sheep and deer trails and away from the tourist areas as quickly as I can.

But mostly now a days I go to wilderness areas to backpack using the forestry road to get in with my bicycle and backpack in areas where there are no entrance fees, permits, just self registering check in booklets at trailheads and I rarely sign in to them, but look to see how busy the area is before I go in. I may if I come out at a trailhead sign the book, but only after I have been in and come out.

I will even often camp outside the park entrance then wake early and go in before the entrance gate is manned, whether or not I have a park pass.

9:32 p.m. on April 27, 2014 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Krumholz Kid said:

Entrance fees have never amounted to much at all in terms of Park Budgets [I think it's less than 5% nationally] but they sure can discourage lower income Americans from going to their parks. Muir and Roosevelt are rolling in their graves for while we build weapons to face an enemy vangusihed a quarter century ago and spend trillions off the books on elective occupations there is without question NO "benefit of all" as long as one child let alone millions are priced off of public lands. We need more people to get out and develop an appreciation for public lands treasures, not fewer. I think it would be horrible to raise fees even more when the amount of money collected nationawide would equal the cost of a couple of fighter planes we do not need.

I absolutely agree with what you stated. When folks take the opposing view to this it almost seems (to me) as though they are "brown-nosing" more than actually rationally opining. For, how can one agree with more fees without considering all the waste in federal spending. 

4:33 p.m. on April 29, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,212 forum posts

Like the Grand Canyon charges $20 a car to get in then $15 for a overnight permit to walk on trails kept open my mules and human foot traffic. And prices at the store is higher and they are no farther off the main highways than a standard small town. 

I stopped hiking the Grand Canyon when they started charging a overnight hiking fee. And the Paria-Vermillion Cliffs are charges a fee to day hike and extra if you take a dog (which costs as much as a human per day).

The Havasupai and Navajo's charge even more to day hike or stay over night on their lands like Antelope Canyon near Page/Lake Lowell and Hualipai and Havasupai Canyons, as much as $25 per person per day and $35 a night per person.

I have chosen to hike in Wilderness areas since parks in the southwest have started charging a fee to hike and camp in the backcountry. All wilderness area's have is a self registration box at the trailheads. I usually don't sign in till I am coming back out not on the way in. Though I always check to see how many others may be in the area I am going to hike. I like solitude ,even a handfull of others can be too much for me. People can be noisy animals.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply