Hikes near Salt Lake City

12:50 p.m. on May 14, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
875 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

I am heading to Salt Lake City for work and I am hoping to do some after work hiking/trail running in the evenings.

Does anyone know of some trails that are within a short drive from downtown? I will likely only have time to do hikes that are in the 3-5 mile range.

Thanks

3:21 p.m. on May 14, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts
10:31 a.m. on May 15, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,068 forum posts

The park near city creek up by the state Capitol has some nice trails, and isn't far from "Squatters" brewery!

11:08 a.m. on May 15, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,312 forum posts

One thing about SLC is that there is a huge amount of outdoor activity available within 15-30 min drive - summer hiking, rock climbing, and backpacking; winter skiing (yoyo, XC track and skate, and backcountry), snowshoeing, and ice climbing. I omit the motorized stuff intentionally, but it's there too. One of the ski resorts, Alta, is one of the last resorts without snowboarding (technically, you can board there, you just can't ride the lifts). Some of the world's best rock and ice climbing is to be found in the canyons - the Lowe clan developed much of modern ice technique there, and there are a lot of rock routes put up by Fred Beckey.

All the major canyons, such as Big Cottonwood and Little Cottonwood, offer easy access to hikes in the side canyons that are as long or short as you want, many of which have abandoned gold mines. Drive up to Alta and you can hike to Cecret Lake (pronounced "secret" - it seems the old goldminers didn't always spell things in the conventional way).

If you are into geocaching, there are hundreds of caches in the local hills as well as in town. One favorite, if you are into collecting the State and other collectible quarters, is named "take a quarter, leave a quarter". It's a little tricky to find, but the idea is if you are a coin collector, you can swap quarters you have extras for ones you don't have in your collection.

If you have your bicycle with you, many of the locals ride the canyons. A warning, though - it is rather high altitude. And in summer, it can get hot in the lower parts of the canyons. Winter sees the stagnant air back up against the Wasatch Front, making the air in the city below the inversion layer pretty miserable at times. But drive up the canyons and you are in cool, clear air.

Oh, and when you hike the side canyons, you may well encounter these large animals, some of which have huge antlers on their heads.

11:23 a.m. on May 15, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I defer to Seth and BillS. Glad others with more knowledge weighed in!

4:36 p.m. on May 15, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
875 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll keep you posted about what I am able to do while I am out there.

-Jim

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply