Extended Adairondac snowshoeing routes?

3:53 p.m. on February 11, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Forrest Hutchinson

Can anyone recommend a route for a three day two night trip. I am 50 and in moderatly good shape. I have a pair of Atlas 800 series, the largest size. I am going with a friend and am looking for a route that is picturesque and without trying for any peaks. Good open views, that kind of thing. Throw in a fun day trips from base camp. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

7:41 p.m. on February 11, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I can think of 2 beautiful areaqs off the top of my head.
1. Duck Hole (5-6 miles from Tahawus parking, 10 miles from Coreys Via the Ward Brook Truck Trail).
DH has 2 lean to's, one is like new (It was brand new in 1997 when I was last there)there is a wide open meadow for tents and is situatad on a lake/pond/flow. From a base at DH you can go to Wanika Falls on the Northville Placid Trail,( or to Placid), you can also head up to the #4 LT's on the Ward Brook Truck Trail (I maintained them for a few years) you can head south on the NLP to the ouluska pass LT and Rondeaus Hermitage. You can head over the pass to Bradle Pond LT in the Santanonis as well. Many snowshoe options. the second area is West Canada Lakes. there agaon are a few trails, beutiful LT settings and some open meadows. Road access may be tricky out of Perkins Clearing and you may have to snowshoe a few extra miles (Same with DH out of Coreys - Add 3 miles for Road inaccess due to snow. Also, Call DEC and get the names of the ranger that is in charge of that area for up to date info.

Quote:

Can anyone recommend a route for a three day two night trip. I am 50 and in moderatly good shape. I have a pair of Atlas 800 series, the largest size. I am going with a friend and am looking for a route that is picturesque and without trying for any peaks. Good open views, that kind of thing. Throw in a fun day trips from base camp. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply