About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Mt. Rainier DAy Hike

2:52 p.m. on March 25, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

My friends and I are going to Mt. Rainier in the middle of April. Does anyone have suggestions on good day hikes around that time??

JH

6:52 p.m. on March 29, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

My friends and I are going to Mt. Rainier in the middle of April. Does anyone have suggestions on good day hikes around that time??

JH

You will encounter snow if you are hiking out of Paradise (5,000ft.). At Longmire you may be able to hike up some trails before encountering snow. It was snowing in the mountain passes last night and Paradise is 1 - 2,000 feet higher than the mountin passes of US 2 or I 90. Expect the snow to pack down so snowshoes may not be necessary. If you need snow shoes you can rent them from REI or GI Joes. When hiking on packed snow it's easy to get lost since there is no trail to follow back. Be sure to get a topo map and a compass. Get a Paradise winter trail map from the ranger station.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply